Laser-Etch Tattoo

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have had many things laser-etched in my lifetime, never once did I think “Hey, I should put a body part in that machine!” Ummm, this guy did and, aside from the Beasty Boys theme music, this is not something I would recommend anyone else try. This is definitely one of those “point and stare” moments.

I used to work for a gun shop that had a CO2 laser that i was in charge of running...the thought crossed MY mind numerous times. You have so much control over the power/depth of the laser that you could etch on a piece of paper without burning through, so I figured it could be dialed in so that I wouldn't end up like Luke Skywalker. My better sense of judgement (and numerous radiation warnings) finally convinced me it wasn't a great idea! ;)

steve you offered good advice with this post...

beastie boys yes...

burning etching your skin... no

Meh, if you have enough control over the device you could pretty easily set it to make temporary tattoos by just buring the surface of the skin slightly. You'd just end up with a red/white (depending on setting) welt for a few days/weeks)

I'm assuming that those are temporary tattoos?
It would take a third degree burn for it to be permanent. Even using a laser I would think as much tissue damage as the pacman was doing there would be some bleeding through the skin by the end of it if the burn were that deep. Also, I don't think the kid could sit that still while his arm was being torched through the skin.

Actually, to be eligible to win you just have to be removed from the gene pool. That can be through death or sterilization. :)

Aaah didn't know this, I thought it was complete removal.

Then the drunken gent at the golf corse that decided to use the ball washer to give himself a clensing should have been higher on the list; (from the last couple of years.) ;)

Not going to be seeing any of these guys giving the valedictorian speeches at graduation this year.

I wonder how many times these jerks won one of those 'I dare you to put your hand in there' games.
Last years winners all had to learn to bowl left-handed.

This is nothing more than 2 to 3 layer surface ablation. It will sluff off in a few weeks and you have a new canvas.

that is a nice way of getting skin cancer :)

Wasn't that a photolithography printer? Don't they work with UV lasers? Should be nice when his nice tattoo gets some shading where the skin cancer grows in.

actually this seems like a good alternative to other methods of decorative branding (as distinct from tattooing). i'm not advocating or denouncing such practices, but hey, if you're going to do something foolish, you might as well do it intelligently.

edit: i should say, it seems like it could be a good alternative. that's assuming they actually know what they're doing with the laser etcher and so on (if it really is a UV laser it's obviously not the best idea in the world).

My brother is a manager for a popular chain of tattoo/piercing shops here in North-America, and I can tell you that laser etching is just as popular as branding and UV (glow in the dark) tattoos. It’s not something they advertise or encourage people to get, but if someone wants it, they do it. And as said before, laser is only temporary (about 3 weeks max) whereas branding and UV aren’t.

OMG thats about the dumbest thing I have seen kids do yet ROFLMAO

ya know, I have to admit it looks cool (would really stand out if somone of african-american descent did it) but depending ont he danger... if that's a UV laser (which I dont think it is, I thought I saw red light reflect in one of thsoe shots) then I think I'll pass... if it's safe, it's an interesting alternative to a real tattoo, especially for a short-term... but given the pain, healing time, and it's short lifespan, you certainly wont see me crawling inside a laser etcher...

I deffinately agree with the OP, I've seen laser-etching and never in my life thought "gee I think I'll stick my hand in there!" that's just....... yeah, guy's trying to get a darwin award...

Back