Largest sata laptop hard drive

EclipseRydr

Limp Gawd
I have an older dell XPS m1330, it currently has a WD 750gb black in it, but I'd like to replace it with a bigger drive. I've seen 1tb, and I saw a 1.5tb and 2tb, but some of the comments and reviews say that it is too large, physically, for their laptop.

How can I check to see if it fits in my machine before purchasing it? Unless anyone knows off the top of their head. thanks.

You not only need to consider the physical size but also the thermal output. If you're not on a budget, you can get a 1 TB SSD.

That laptop supports up to 9.5mm height drives. The biggest drive currently announced (they say it is shipping but reasonably expect 1Q14 for delivery) that you can fit into there right now is the Seagate M9 at up to 2TB. The biggest in stock anywhere right now is 1.5TB and are available from Seagate, Hitachi, etc.

Last edited:
That laptop supports up to 9.5mm height drives. The biggest drive currently announced (they say it is shipping but reasonably expect 1Q14 for delivery) that you can fit into there right now is the Seagate M9 at up to 2TB. The biggest in stock anywhere right now is 1.5TB and are available from Seagate, Hitachi, etc.

Nice, didn't know we had 2TBers coming this soon in that height now. :)

I've seen the 2TB drives in their revised Backup Plus series from Seagate. I believe they were 9.5mm drives inside the external case - but I may be wrong.

I've seen the 2TB drives in their revised Backup Plus series from Seagate. I believe they were 9.5mm drives inside the external case - but I may be wrong.

the 9.5mm tall 2TB M9T's are in the backup plus slim series -- I just popped one open to put the drive in my NUC system :)

Toshiba Canvio, an external 2TB model available at Bust Buy for $97.99. I bought a couple of these and took them out of their external enclosures.
EDIT: oh, guess I didn't pay attention of what mm size they are.

Back