Largest open gameworld?

A mile isn't the best unit of measurement when a game is focused on a vehicle or something huge compared to a human. A mythical titan character could walk a mile in a few steps.

If only we could measure "average polygon count per square mile." (to be closer to accurate, texture resolution would factor in too).

Yes it is. It's a unit of measurement we are all familiar with and capable of using our own knowledge to match up. 20 miles is a LOT easier to mentally picture than 24889723836 polygons.

Beyond that, one mile is one mile. That distance is the same whether you can cross it in three steps or three hundred. Just some games have a larger scale than others, which is where the size of movement you make matters.

Yes it is. It's a unit of measurement we are all familiar with and capable of using our own knowledge to match up. 20 miles is a LOT easier to mentally picture than 24889723836 polygons.

Beyond that, one mile is one mile. That distance is the same whether you can cross it in three steps or three hundred. Just some games have a larger scale than others, which is where the size of movement you make matters.

Yes, I am talking about scale here. If you play a futuristic space flight simulator where the smallest spaceship is half a mile long then we run into problems. But yes, a mile is nice, pleasant, and easy when describing a game from a controlled human's perspective (or elf or dwarf :p ).... well that is if you're American. I just take issue when I can think of old flight simulators like Dynamix's 1990 A-10 Tank Killer. That game would probably beat Oblivion. ooooh, or Lucas Art's Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.... now there is some square mileage of glory!!!! Covers all of Europe! Oh I loved that game. Great memories for both games.

edit... well not all of Europe, Mainly France, Germany, and part of Britain and portions of other areas.

Last edited:
God I love TDU. I'd burst veins during those occasional missions where some rich guy pays you retarded amounts of money to deliver his big shiny expensive sports car like 20 miles away through heavy traffic and winding roads. Me being all obsessive to do it perfectly, has me going maybe 5 over speed limit and it takes forever.

Half way through I start getting impatient and begin winding it out on long empty strips, but before I ever make it to the end, sure enough, I lose my attention and clip a curb or something and it docks just enough points to make me want to start all over.

Haha. I know what you mean. And those stupid hitchhikers.

TDU I miss that game. lol

TDU2 is coming out soon!

I think I get what parmenides is saying although perhaps it would be better ranking them by how long it takes to traverse them.

If only we could measure "average polygon count per square mile."

EQ would rank very low on this scale. Some of the polygons in the Karanas were huge. Like, larger than draw distance. I also swear they turned down the run speed in the Karanas to make them seem larger.

EQ would rank very low on this scale. Some of the polygons in the Karanas were huge. Like, larger than draw distance. I also swear they turned down the run speed in the Karanas to make them seem larger.

Sure as hell felt like that back in the day huh.

It is a hard thing to compare. To me fallout 3 felt quite small because I could walk the entire map in a short time.

Other things come into it like, how big are your characters legs and how fast do they walk, are there vehicles, how big is the draw distance, how detailed are the models (some flight sim games have massive worlds with big draw distances but very low quality).

Moving slowly in a highly detailed world with a small draw distance will feel a lot bigger than a big world you can traverse quickly and has a big enough draw distance that you can see from one end to the other if you stand on a bit of a hill.

Psst* I don't think people hang out in the Karanas anymore :p The game has changed considerably content wise and graphically.

God I love TDU. I'd burst veins during those occasional missions where some rich guy pays you retarded amounts of money to deliver his big shiny expensive sports car like 20 miles away through heavy traffic and winding roads. Me being all obsessive to do it perfectly, has me going maybe 5 over speed limit and it takes forever.

Half way through I start getting impatient and begin winding it out on long empty strips, but before I ever make it to the end, sure enough, I lose my attention and clip a curb or something and it docks just enough points to make me want to start all over.

I just got done doing my sixth play-through starting from scratch, and some of those are impossible to do perfect. The game will just suddenly dock you $33, which is a split-split-split-split second... And you weren't anywhere near a curb... And yes, each play-through has had that issue. Some sort of bug.

One time my car flew up in the air from some invisible car I collided with...

The main motivation to be perfect is for the bonus...

Too bad TDU2 is going to be Hawaii. I'm kind of done with HI.

I just got done doing my sixth play-through starting from scratch, and some of those are impossible to do perfect. The game will just suddenly dock you $33, which is a split-split-split-split second... And you weren't anywhere near a curb... And yes, each play-through has had that issue. Some sort of bug.

One time my car flew up in the air from some invisible car I collided with...

The main motivation to be perfect is for the bonus...

Too bad TDU2 is going to be Hawaii. I'm kind of done with HI.

It's not Hawaii....if you looked at the pictures, it's based in Ibiza.

2qktq8w.png

Use the red building as a reference point.

Ibiza.jpg

EDIT: Seems like the TDU2 website just had a makeover.

It's not Hawaii....if you looked at the pictures, it's based in Ibiza.

I swore I heard it was. Glad it's not.

I like to know as little about a game I'm looking forward to before I actually get it, so forgive the ignorance.

sorry skipped the middle three pages but has Gothic (specifically 3) had a mention yet

Risen(makers of Gothic). Good game, though I suspect a bit smaller map than some.

I've checked out Steel Beasts Pro now.
While the actual maps used can be pretty much any size, the part of it used for making a scenario can be no more than 22x22km, which equals 187 square miles.

I wonder where this thread would go if the worlds actually had to contain stuff and not just lots of procedurally generated trees and rubber stamped buildings.... :D

I wonder where this thread would go if the worlds actually had to contain stuff and not just lots of procedurally generated trees and rubber stamped buildings.... :D

Morrowind. Every blade of grass, every piece of rock was put there by hand.;)

If you're curious about the large open gameworld of Fuel, but are a bit put off by the reviews (it is certainly not a perfect game), it is on Steam right now for $3.74.

If you're curious about the large open gameworld of Fuel, but are a bit put off by the reviews (it is certainly not a perfect game), it is on Steam right now for $3.74.

Me and a friend picked it up at that price point; have to say it's actually daunting how huge the world is. Game certainly isn't perfect like you say; but for $3.74 it's an absolute must buy.

You're right, even if the game sucks, thats a huge world to explore for only $3.74. Bought a copy.

For a 2D isometric view, Divine Divinity has a huge world and tons of quests. It is one of the best singleplayer hack and slash games ever made and has some hilarious dialogue options too.

For a 2D isometric view, Divine Divinity has a huge world and tons of quests. It is one of the best singleplayer hack and slash games ever made and has some hilarious dialogue options too.

The remastered version of Divine Divinity is available on gog.com for $5.99. The announcement of the remaster is here. The remaster seems to fix issues with modern resolutions that were noticed on WSGF (note the last two posts in the thread). Edit: aha, the changelog for version 1.4A is here. It is not possible to patch the older versions to the remaster.

Last edited:
Here is the updated list I have been working on:
Would appreciate suggestions/ more games/ corrections.

• Azerons Call - 500 square miles

It's spelled "Asheron's Call", and yes you could travel the world without loading screens. You could take portals to travel faster, but running from one corner of the "continent" to the other would take hours and hours... depending on your character's Run skill. It was my first MMO and to some extent it spoiled me from enjoying other MMOs as they all felt very small. In AC you could spend a lot of time just "exploring" for fun because there weren't any zones or borders that restricted you from wandering.

Smallest open gameworld would be the original Crimsonland. You play in about 100ft x 100ft area. :p

The remastered version of Divine Divinity is available on gog.com for $5.99. The announcement of the remaster is here. The remaster seems to fix issues with modern resolutions that were noticed on WSGF (note the last two posts in the thread). Edit: aha, the changelog for version 1.4A is here. It is not possible to patch the older versions to the remaster.

That is awesome. I'll be buying it right away.

I'd be more interested in a "how long does it take you traverse the width x how long does it take you to traverse the height"

Back