• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Largest CF card you can use...

Lamont

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
4,415
What is the largest CF card you can use for a DigiRebel XT?
 
The XT and newer Canon cameras use the FAT32 file system, so you will have no problem using 2GB or larger memory cards. I use a 4GB in mine with no trouble.

As to max capacity? Beats me. ;)
 
Yeah, I got 4GB, but I want to get the 8GB ones... ($70) at newegg.
 
maybe it's just me, but i'd rather use 4 1gb sticks then a single 4gb stick.

if only one of those 1gb sticks go bad, i only lose photos from that one stick. while if my 4gb stick goes bad... i lose everything.
 
Yeah, but 6+ hours of time-lapse, you'll need a large card. And no one likes swapping cards in the middle of action :D.
 
Think of it this way: how often do your memory cards go bad versus how often you miss a great shot because you're busy switching cards? :p
 
For now I have the wifes desktop in the living room taking the pictures (which go to the comp).

Obviously I can't lug a desktop to the mountains, even a laptop is kinda out the question. So I did some looking around and found these:S-HD-100

Can't find info on if the images are DL'ed as you shoot.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use 4gb and 2GB sandisk extreme III cf in my Rebel XT. I would assume the 8gb will work too.
 
I use 4 or 2GB in my XT and 30D. I wouldnt go any higher, imagine loosing 8gb worth of pictures. I think 4GB is enough, I shoot raw.
 
Yeah, but imagine shooting 12 hours at 4 frames a minute. That's about 22.5 GB of images in raw. 4GB is too small for this project.

Looks like 8GB it is, and at $70, it's not bad to try it out and see if it works.
 
If you shoot teathered to the computer, the camera should be able to upload the picture to your laptop. My Digital Rebel did that back in the day with the supplied Canon software, though I don't think it had the option to continue shooting pictures every X seconds for Y hours...

BTW, will the battery even last that long? I don't ever remember being able to take 2,880 pictures in a row (12 hr, 4 pic/min) on a single battery with any of my cameras...but if you plan on taking that many, look into the AC adapter kit that lets you run the camera off of a standard home power outlet...
 
With the battery grip I can shoot a little over 12 hours. I do plan on getting the AC adapter for those 24 hour+ shoots at home.
 
The XT will even take the 16gb CF Cards I believe.

For time lapse (where possible) tethering to your PC and using the Canon remote or other remote software is the best idea since you get to use your HDD for storage of all those photos :)
 
Yeah, when I start doing the longer TL sessions (a couple of days) I am gonna keep it in the garage and let it run.

16GB? Cool, I'll go look for one (hoping it will be just twice the price of the 8GB.. I doubt it :D )
 
On a related note, are there any good articles/tutorials on doing time-lapse with the Rebel XT?
 
A buddy of mine just bought this timer made by Canon and modded it to work with his XT. He said it works sweet. So I am gonna order it and let you know.

So far it's easy:
Install the latest drivers for the Canon.
Install DSLR Pro.
Make sure it's switched to "computer" and not "PTP" in the settings for connection.
Connect the camera with the USB cable.
Grab a tripod.
Mount the cam.
Change a few settings and follow the instructions of DSLR Pro.
Run the application.

From there you will need a video application to compile the images. You can grab a ton of free ones (check the shareware thread). Set the FPS to what you like and that's it.
 
Back
Top