• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Large screen for movies

ajp_anton

n00b
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
7
I'm in need of a monitor, and need some help.

Specs I'm looking for:
- Can work at a multiple of 24Hz (24, 48, 72...) for judder-free movie playback.
- 2560x1440 is preferred, but can go to 1920x1200 if required.
- 27" is preferred (even at 1920x1200), but can go to 24" if required.
- Has Displayport input (laptop with Intel iGPU has nothing else).
- Not TN!

The Crossover 2720MDP Gold covers points 2-5, but I've read that it doesn't overclock to 100Hz like the other Korean monitors. What about 72Hz? Does it underclock to 48Hz?
 
Last edited:
It probably won't do any of those, but then again very few monitors will. Pulldown isn't so bad.
 
Good luck with 1. One of the odd things about the monitor industry is that if you go to cheap and obscure models you're able to run them up to 75hz. Why is that? Since its rather evident that both panels and input electronics can handle it. My best bet is that more established models use some pointless processing unit made by Realtek or some other shit company. Its this unit that cant handle more than 60hz in full resolution to do the useless image processing that nobody wants except maybe overdrive (which most 1440p models dont seem to use or need anyway). Thats the beauty of the catleap 2b. It just send the signal through, as I understand it.No stupid processing that can be done by GPU anyway.

And this Sunday afternoon rant was brought to you by a wicked headcold.
 
Well I don't really need *more* than 60Hz, 24 or 48Hz work just fine.

I used to watch things on 60Hz, but then the monitor broke and I've been using my Macbook for a year now. It supports 48Hz, and I'm now so spoiled that 60Hz looks horrible.

Isn't the Crossover 2720MDP just one of those "cheap" monitors? Does anyone have it and try if 48Hz works?
 
They won't do proper 48hz, I'm sure. You might have to get a 120hz 1080p TN if you really want this.
 
I have the PA248Q and it can do ~47.95hz with a custom resolution. The refresh rate jumps around between 47.952 and 47.956, so its not a perfect straight line but pretty close!



If anyone has a better way to test if its proper 48hz then I'm willing to try.
 
Why get a display for primarily movie watching in 2560x1440? Why not get a TV like the 32ld550 (would have to find used), which can do 5:5 pulldown at 120hz and is 1080p, which is the max any movie would be anyway.
 
I have the PA248Q and it can do ~47.95hz with a custom resolution. The refresh rate jumps around between 47.952 and 47.956, so its not a perfect straight line but pretty close!

If anyone has a better way to test if its proper 48hz then I'm willing to try.
Well, if it doesn't judder (as it should at 60Hz, can you see it?), and some people also move the mouse cursor in a circle and check for uniform distances between the visible pointer locations, then it should work.
So thanks. Although it's at the lowest end of what I prefer, at least it's something in case nothing better comes along.

Why get a display for primarily movie watching in 2560x1440? Why not get a TV like the 32ld550 (would have to find used), which can do 5:5 pulldown at 120hz and is 1080p, which is the max any movie would be anyway.
Because
1. It's not primarily for movies.
2. I can't fit two screens in my room, and eventually in a small apartment once I move out.
3. It's a much more elegant solution to have all in one, as I wouldn't use both at the same time anyway.


Actually, a 2560x1600 would be the best, but it's a bit out of my budget right now. I really hate 16:9 (except with movies it doesn't matter), but unfortunately 16:10 is expensive.
I've heard the Dell u3011 does 24Hz or something, anyone has one?
 
Why would a 2560 x 1600 be best ? The highest movie res out there is 1080p and ALL LCDs look their best at native res ... Wouldn't a 1080p panel make more sense for watching movies ?
 
1600p displays are the worst for movies since they are all wide gamut (higher end models meant for colour critical work have proper sRGB modes), use grainy matte coatings (yay for permanent film grain effects in clean blu-rays) and have 25-30% higher black levels than the good 27" 1440 displays.

For the price of a 30" one could get a 50" Samsung or Panasonic plasma which would completely annihilate any 30" 1600p IPS 5x over in terms of performance.

I have a CrossOver 2720MDP gold and it only supports 60hz. It does support 24hz blu-ray playback with PS3's.

It supports 25hz interlaced @1920x180 with PC's over HDMI but the screen vibrates rabidly & rappidly
 
Last edited:
Why would a 2560 x 1600 be best ? The highest movie res out there is 1080p and ALL LCDs look their best at native res ... Wouldn't a 1080p panel make more sense for watching movies ?
Did you miss everything I wrote before and after the mention of 2560x1600?

1600p displays are the worst for movies since they are all wide gamut (higher end models meant for colour critical work have proper sRGB modes), use grainy matte coatings (yay for permanent film grain effects in clean blu-rays) and have 25-30% higher black levels than the good 27" 1440 displays.

For the price of a 30" one could get a 50" Samsung or Panasonic plasma which would completely annihilate any 30" 1600p IPS 5x over in terms of performance.

I have a CrossOver 2720MDP gold and it only supports 60hz. It does support 24hz blu-ray playback with PS3's.

It supports 25hz interlaced @1920x180 with PC's over HDMI but the screen vibrates rabidly & rappidly
Wide gamut can be fixed, right? Just calibrate the video renderer (yay madVR).
What the 30" has over any 50" is that it's not crappy 1920x1080, I need to actually do something on the monitor.
There are plenty of screens I could choose for non-movie use, what I'm doing here is finding out if any of them are better than the others at movies.

24Hz on the 2720MDP sounds interesting though. With "only 60Hz" I assume you mean "up to 60Hz".
Does it do that from a computer as well, and especially via Displayport (as that's what Intel needs for those resolutions)? I trust my video renderer to do the 1080p->1440p scaling much better than the display.
 
Not sure where to post this but since its OT I might as well do it with a necro post.

Its about doing 60hz interpolation for video playback with CPU/GPU. Similar to that what TVsets today do but usually up to higher refresh rates. Anyhow. Supposedly this would remove judder. Perhaps even better than using custom frequency at 72hz. I could not, however, get it working properly. Too old and weak computer and shitty gfxcard. I'm sure you [h]ardasses with proper gaming eq could do it easily, though. I'm really interested to hear if its good or not (need reason for upgarding computer):
http://www.svp-team.com/

Mind that the installation installs various items and it might interfere with existing FFD-show and MPC-HC installations. Its a bit of a chore to properly uninstall too. But its free.
 
Back
Top