Large Scale Cyber Attack Warning

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Ukraine's state security service (SBU) and the Ukrainian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) released a statement Friday, warning Ukrainian businesses to make sure their networks were sufficiently protected. Ukrainian Intelligence suggests that a massive Cyber Attack akin to the NotPetya outbreak 6 months ago may be ramping up for deployment as the Ukraine celebrates "Defender of Ukraine Day." Russia has long been suspected of using the Ukraine as a test bed for Cyber Attacks ranging from infrastructure attacks like Black Energy to the massive and destructive ransomware outbreak NotPetya. If you work in IT, this could be a long weekend. Thanks SCHTASK!

The Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) has warned of a new wave of a large-scale cyber attack on government agencies and private companies, reads a report posted on the SBU's website.

"According to the special service, the targets of the attackers are large public and private companies. Their main purpose is to disrupt the regular operation of information systems, which may destabilize the situation in the country," the report says.

SBU experts received data that the attack could be carried out using updates, including those of publicly available software. The mechanism for its implementation will be similar to the cyber attack conducted in June 2017.

In order to prevent unauthorized blocking of information systems, it is necessary to observe the following recommendations, in particular, update the signature of antivirus software on servers and workstations, reserve the information processed on the computer equipment, ensure daily updates to system software, including the Windows operating system of all versions without exception.

Why does every hacker story feature some asshole in a hoodie? Do they get this shit at T.J. Hacker? or J.C. Hacker? Or is there some shitty clothes line specifically designed for nerds that are keyboard commandos living in a cold dark basement somewhere? I'm waiting for the day Game Fail to sell Hacker Hoodies... or used ones for that matter. Dunno I'm just fucking annoyed at this shit.

Not sure I'd put modern-day Ukraine into that category, nor many countries that might be affected by this.

Didn't Petya affect the U.S too? Tbh, I would not automatically assume that American business/government IT security are superior to Ukrainian business/government IT security in any case. (Equifax is a clear example)

I wish I could go forward in time a 100 years and crack open a book on warfare and see how this interconnected world of ours gets fucked up in the future.

Didn't Petya affect the U.S too? Tbh, I would not automatically assume that American business/government IT security are superior to Ukrainian business/government IT security in any case. (Equifax is a clear example)

I wish I could go forward in time a 100 years and crack open a book on warfare and see how this interconnected world of ours gets fucked up in the future.

Yeah, Petya did. I wasn't implying that this concern isn't a somewhat 'upper-tier' problem, but just that it wasn't exclusively. As you said, the interconnected world means that really nobody is safe from anything if they're online. When guys ransomware hospital files, you know that we're pretty much screwed.

Yeah, Petya did. I wasn't implying that this concern isn't a somewhat 'upper-tier' problem, but just that it wasn't exclusively. As you said, the interconnected world means that really nobody is safe from anything if they're online. When guys ransomware hospital files, you know that we're pretty much screwed.

Hmm, your right, i misread your comment.

Betcha a dime Equifax is involved.

Somehow.

And maybe not directly.
I have a buddy who only a week before the Equifax shit hit the fan who took a job handling their customer services calls from home. Heh . . .

Back