• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Large HD older controller

r_shortt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2002
Messages
301
So I picked up another harddrive today a 160 WD ide drive to throw by itself on a promise fastrak 66 controller for temp storage. Now I have the drive working the controller bios only thinks there is 132gig (yes I know about the limits). Now before I finally got it working I formatted it by unpluging my dvd burner and it formated for 149 gig like it should.. I plugged it back into promise controller, the bios still only sees 132gig but windows sees all 149 gig. Do you think I'm going to run into problems with the space between 132 and 149 gig? Its the first time I have to deal with the 132 barrier problem.
 
see if the controller has a flash prom on it and if you can flash it to a newer bios.
I had to do that on a couple of my promise controllers.
 
I checked the promise site and the newest bios is from 2001 and I'm pretty sure I flashed it sometime in the last 4 years :(
 
well looks like I answered my own question.. I decided to copy a whole bunch crap over to it, low and behold I got sector errors when I got to the end of the drive

Oh well looks like its time to swap this drive to another controller ;(
 
Back
Top