Large hardware upgrade without Win7 reinstall?

sircuddles

Limp Gawd
I'm about to change from an old x3 720 to a 2500k with mobo/RAM ugprades (obv). Is a Windows reinstall avoidable? I'd rather not have to back everything up and reinstall all my programs, but after some searching I can't find a solid answer or method to do so. I have a 1TB as storage and 2x74GB Raptors running Raid 0 with Windows on them.

Once I swap the parts, should I just attempt a boot and see what happens?

your biggest problem is going to be the raid drivers.
everything else is OK...

for one thing, your RAID array will not survine the switch unless you used an add in raid card.
you need to backup your boot drive, recreate the array on the Intel raid, and then restore it to the Intel volume.

now you have to deal with windows and RAID drivers.
do you have access to software like backup exec or acronis with universal restore?

Last edited:
Might have issues going from AMD ---> intel. I went from p45-z68 without doing anything, and it worked perfect.

Might have issues going from AMD ---> intel. I went from p45-z68 without doing anything, and it worked perfect.

if this were XP id agree with you. but MS changed the HAL functionality starting from Vista. Storage controller drivers are the largest issue. if its a single drive you can run in ATA mode and avoid that issue. cant do that in RAID.
the P45 ICH10 and Z68 use the exact same driver for storage controller.

Last edited:
I just swap my ssd from a desktop to a new laptop and did sysprep, but you will have to reactivate your windows.

Back