Large Hadron Collider Shut Down By A Weasel

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seriously folks, you can't make stuff like this up. The Large Hadron Collider has been shut down because a weasel chewed through a power cable. Power should be back online in a few days. Services for the mighty little mustelid will be held out back behind the tool shack. RIP weasel.

According to internal documents placed online, the Large Hadron Collider at CERN near Geneva has suffered a power outage after the critter chewed on a 66-kilovolt electrical transformer. The unfortunate animal was fried and caused a CERN-wide power cut. “I can confirm that we had some issues overnight with electrical trouble,” says CERN spokesperson Arnaud Marsollier. “We suspect it might be due to a small animal.” It will likely take a few days to bring the collider back online, says Marsollier, but the equipment is fine and should be easily fixed.

That is almost too funny, poor weasel.

That took a lot of chewing I imagine, and he was trying to prevent the world from being sucked into a black hole.

:)

025zrCr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Back when I worked in a restaurant, roaches ate through the printed circuits on the dishwasher.

Anyone in IT or any EE can tell you just how much one or two little critters can do.

That took a lot of chewing I imagine, and he was trying to prevent the world from being sucked into a black hole.

To late.

We're already in the process of being sucked into the black hole they created during previous experiment.
Due to the massive time dilation effect of circling the event horizon of the black hole, we just haven't realized it yet.

Can you please tell me which restaurant? I want to make sure to tell my friend to eat there.
It was a long time ago, but I'd wager that most restaurants along the gulf coast have roach problems. I worked in place that was new, where they put roachproof in the walls, sprayed, cleaned and so on, and within a year we started seeing roaches. Nevertheless, the first place was really bad. Eventually they had to tent the building to get rid of them...but I'd be surprised if they aren't back.

A few years back, the LHC was shut down by a piece of baguette dropped into a space full of electrical equipment that was vented to the outside from above. It caused a short circuit and took the entire site offline. I liked it more than the weasel assault because it reminded me of the strike on the Deathstar except with stale bread for a torpedo.

Also, they have a lot of helium in the ring under ground. How tragically funny would it be if there was a leak and the last words from below to the surface were all said in high pitch squeaky voices.
people underground: "for the love of god help us"
people above ground: " we're trying but every time you yell for help another fireman pisses himself with laughter"

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Weasel bypasses retina security scans.
The movie Particle Fever is worth viewing.

There was a brief moment reading the headline when I was wondering why the hell Donald Trump would want to shut down the LHC.

There is a ongoing problem of rodents eating through wire casing because they are typically made from soy nowadays to be biodegradable. Honda's currently being sued over it, but pretty much every manufacture is dealing with similar issues.

This has been a problem with electric wires since electric wires were invented. My house was built in 1911 and I can see where they came in at a later date and replaced the gas lines with electric lines. Many of the old electric lines have been chewed up over the years by mice and small children. These original lines were sheathed in an asphalt asbestos woven fabric, rats eat anything but steel wool.

Anyone in IT or any EE can tell you just how much one or two little critters can do.

I'm in the industrial crane industry. I see the damage that birds cause all the time. Air conditioned panel with a couple 250HP VFD's in them. Bird builds nest on exhaust. AC unit freezes up, IGBT's overheat, and earth faults abound. $114k later, crane is back up and running.
It's usually the EE's fault that shit happens, because they only know how to look at a computer screen and think "yup, looks good". Try and correct them, and all hell breaks loose. Cyberdemons and Revenants show up to melt your face.

I had a marmot living in the engine compartment of my car and it ate through some wiring, also left a big pile of poop.

It was a long time ago, but I'd wager that most restaurants along the gulf coast have roach problems. I worked in place that was new, where they put roachproof in the walls, sprayed, cleaned and so on, and within a year we started seeing roaches. Nevertheless, the first place was really bad. Eventually they had to tent the building to get rid of them...but I'd be surprised if they aren't back.

Well, they say after a nuclear war, the only things living will be Roaches. I believe the best way to get rid of infestations is with sticky traps. I placed them in my house crawl space for years, not we don't even have an ant down there. You kill the food sources and they don't come.

A restaurant, well, you are just screwed.

Back