Large File FTP to Server Network Spasm

Viper16

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to backup some stuff to a FreeNAS server and noticed my home PC is having issues with transferring.

I know the server side works as I can FTP large files from my Laptop, but this desktop. Once it gets caught in the up/down frequency, its lags like crazy, then disconnects and reconnects the network adaptor and works again till a large upload from it.

It is a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit (NDIS 6.20), Ties into a new ASUS RT-AC66R with Cat5e.

I assume the laptop is also plugged into the router? or WiFi?

Simple questions: Did you look at updated drives for the NIC or updated firmware for the router?
Drivers

Alternate question: Does the desktop experience this when transferring files to the laptop or another device?

Yes the laptop was plugged into the router directly and tested through WIFI...both FTP passed to Server.

I tried both FTP clients with no firewalls briefly...same result.

I will check for drivers and/or firmware updates tonight.

Yes the Desktop experiences this with the server I have running, it is what brought me to test FTP'ing between the laptop and itself.

I will check the driver/firmware, thanks for the help, Viper16

realtek adapters do not like to be pushed and I've seen higher failure rates on them than other ethernet adapter choices.

First try to update the driver.

If that doesn't work....(for a test) try changing the PC adapter to 100Mb instead of 1000Mb.

See if that stabilizes the transfers. If it does, then there is a good chance that the adapter has issues.

Last test would be to set the connection back to 1000Mb and try using a different ethernet cable.

You know see enough from the results to have a clue as to where the issue is.

realtek adapters do not like to be pushed and I've seen higher failure rates on them than other ethernet adapter choices.

First try to update the driver.

If that doesn't work....(for a test) try changing the PC adapter to 100Mb instead of 1000Mb.

See if that stabilizes the transfers. If it does, then there is a good chance that the adapter has issues.

Another test would be to set the connection back to 1000Mb and try using a different ethernet cable.

You should also investigate the possibility that the network adapter is dropping down to half-duplex mode.

You know see enough from the results to have a clue as to where the issue is.

-UPDATE- It failed after 3.5GB transferred at a snails pace. Looks like I will just order a new adaptor card.

Upgraded the software driver (Router driver was current) for the NIC, tried it at full 1000mb, no dice locked out. I then did as Mackintire instructed, and set 100mb and it appears to be transferring steadily (albeit very slowly). so far I have about 1 hour left of my 32gb transfer.

Looks like I will be purchasing a new NIC Card for the PCIe slot.

Thanks!

I did get it to send the full 32gb to the server last night. I had to disable the "Large Send Offload (IPv4), and it went smoothly, the network usage was almost a smooth line.

I ordered two of those cards that you linked, one for the server, and one for the desktop.

Thanks!

Back