Large drive, dismal failure rates?

vr.

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
4,892
I'm looking at going from a 6 x 500GB in RAID 6 array on an Areca card to... bigger... but the reviews out there of DOA and early failures is depressing.

What 2 TB+ drives are you guys buying that arrive alive and is any one vendor proving better than another?
 
At work where I have 100+ drives in raid6 My 2TB 7K2000 or 7k3000 hitachis are running fine in raid6. So are my 1TB WDC black drives. I have only RMAd a few of these. I am not using HW raid however. I use linux software raid. I have had serious high failure rates with Seagate 7200.10s, 7200.11s or 7200.12. I have had to RMA 7 of these this year to go along with the 10+ last year and 10+ the year before that. This is out of about 75 of these seagate models which I consider rediculous And no it is not the firmware bug.

Edit: With HW raid you are going to want to go hitachi anyways because of not being able to set TLER on all other manufacturers drives.
 
Last edited:
Can you set TLER on hitachi-drives? I know they are a lot better behaving with raid-cards, but is there a way to manually set TLER?
 
At work where I have 100+ drives in raid6 My 2TB 7K2000 or 7k3000 hitachis are running fine in raid6. So are my 1TB WDC black drives. I have only RMAd a few of these. I am not using HW raid however. I use linux software raid. I have had serious high failure rates with Seagate 7200.10s, 7200.11s or 7200.12. I have had to RMA 7 of these this year to go along with the 10+ last year and 10+ the year before that. This is out of about 75 of these seagate models which I consider rediculous And no it is not the firmware bug.

Edit: With HW raid you are going to want to go hitachi anyways because of not being able to set TLER on all other manufacturers drives.

+1 on the 5k and 7k 2000 & 3000 Hitachi drives. I have them in arrays at work and home, and have not had a single problem with them. I am now just left with 1 Seagate array and have decommissioned all the others because of issues. I won't even deal with the RE WD's anymore because of previous problems. As long as the Hitachi drives stay rock solid I will stay with and recommend them!
 
+1 on the 5k and 7k 2000 & 3000 Hitachi drives. I have them in arrays at work and home, and have not had a single problem with them. I am now just left with 1 Seagate array and have decommissioned all the others because of issues. I won't even deal with the RE WD's anymore because of previous problems. As long as the Hitachi drives stay rock solid I will stay with and recommend them!

What kinda problems did you have with RE drives? I've had pretty good luck with them, Constellation ES2 and Hitachi drives.
 
+1 Hitachi. Generally inexpensive, before the flood at least, and apparently built to withstand the abuse of petty mortals.

Love my WD's too, but I only buy their single platter drives.
 
I just picked up 8x2TB Hitachi 5k3000's for an array at home. Will be using ZFS and doing a 6 drive RAIDZ2 (~similar to RAID6) with 1 hotspare, and then an idle spare for if I need a replacement.
 
Is it highly unlikely to buy a cool-spin Hitachi disk today and in 2 years when it dies, receive a WD Green as a "comparable replacement" due to the acquisition?
 
Back
Top