LARGE cube wanted.

Faldaani

Limp Gawd
Hello

Looking for a cube case with room for at least 30 HDD's. Either using built in racks or 3to4, 2to3 expanders in the 5.25" slots. Not interested in 3to5 expanders.

Currently have my eyes on the Lian Li PC343B, but I'd like something thats a little deeper than 46cm.

Any ideas?

This is a slightly modified repost of a post that disappeared due to the database restore, so don't kill me if the other one magically appears next week.

Check out coolcases.com, kricomputer.com and gigacase.com to get an idea on pricing and to get an idea of the size/style that you are looking for. If you are going to be getting several extra accessories, you should call and see if they will cut you a bulk rate deal. I've been quoted prices 20-30% cheaper than advertised since I was ordering several. You might also want to check out Ebay. Sometimes you can get some freaking massive server cases for hardly anything. Remember, these cases are normally several hundred dollars since they are designed and intended for server applications, but I've gotten cases that were normally $700-$800 for less than $100+ shipping.

I'd check out all of those options before going with that Lian-Li case. It looks nice, but everything is a la carte and it still starts at $300+. I'd go with something designed to hold 30+ drives from the get go.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, forgot to mention one potentially huge problem though.

I'm in Europe :(

For the price of one of those cases + shipping.. I could build my own case, or have it made... Too bad I don't have a clue what to use for the blueprint =)

I'd check out all of those options before going with that Lian-Li case. It looks nice, but everything is a la carte and it still starts at $300+. I'd go with something designed to hold 30+ drives from the get go.

I'd like to see this. The PC-343 option is by far the cheapest option to push that drive volume without extensive modding.

I'd like to see this. The PC-343 option is by far the cheapest option to push that drive volume without extensive modding.

I was thinking that the 343 would require 8 extra 2->3 adapters and 2 Rear HDD cages that would come to at least $200 extra + shipping if you got a super deal. That's not counting the assumed redundant power supply adapter. If you are going to do all that and pay $300+ for the case itself + shipping, you may as well get a super server chassis in the first place and be done with it.

it would be incredibly fun to build a custom case with that many hard drives. You could have them spiraling out of a centralized case or something.

Yeah, it would be fun... But I'm terrible with tools, my strong side is software. I guess I could fire up Solidworks and see if I can draw something that makes sense, just for fun.

All you would need is sheet metal and a drill if you just needed the racks, you can buy replacement motherboard panels for 30 bucks.

A buddy of mine converted a rolling mechanics toolbox into a server a few years ago

he picked it up for 45.00 scratch and dent section at sears

I was thinking that the 343 would require 8 extra 2->3 adapters and 2 Rear HDD cages that would come to at least $200 extra + shipping if you got a super deal. That's not counting the assumed redundant power supply adapter. If you are going to do all that and pay $300+ for the case itself + shipping, you may as well get a super server chassis in the first place and be done with it.

This is incorrect. If you bought CALPC 5 in 3 units, which are about 35-40 each (6 of them), you are looking at $210 in addition to the case price of $300ish, you are looking at $510 for a 30 drive setup with great cooling.

Not to mention, with this setup, you don't need the rear cages, so thats savings right there, and not to mention future space! Also, what is this "redundant" power supply adapter? There is a dual PSU link which is included with every lian-li dual psu bracket... and thats IF you want to even use two PSU's.... otherwise you can use one good PSU.

You try and show me something you can find that holds 30 drives for $510... lmfao. Power splitters may or may not be needed depending on the PSU you purchase... and regardless of the case, you will need them, unless if you are looking for backplanes... in which case you are talking hundreds more alone.

try mountain mods .com they mack sick ones for like 350

Mountain mods does not have any cases that holds 30+ drives, thats a custom order that you will be looking at $1,000+ for.

http://calpc.com/catalog/super_server.html

I was going to suggest this, but then shipping would probably double the cost :(

Yes, they are hard to get and they weigh a ton. Shipping on them is no joke either. You'd need 30 brackets to make this case work with 30 drives, as these were originally intended for cd-rom servers and duplication setups.

I don't think the OP can get this case as he's on the other side of the pond... imagine the tax and shipping.

^^ weight of 100lbs, wow

The case alone wieghs more than my entire server. It's solid construction, but if you've ever moved one, solid construction is the last thing you care for :p

This is incorrect. If you bought CALPC 5 in 3 units, which are about 35-40 each (6 of them), you are looking at $210 in addition to the case price of $300ish, you are looking at $510 for a 30 drive setup with great cooling.

He said that he didn't want to use 5in3s.

Not to mention, with this setup, you don't need the rear cages, so thats savings right there, and not to mention future space! Also, what is this "redundant" power supply adapter? There is a dual PSU link which is included with every lian-li dual psu bracket... and thats IF you want to even use two PSU's.... otherwise you can use one good PSU.

Dual PSUs connected that way wouldn't be redundant or hot-swappable.

You try and show me something you can find that holds 30 drives for $510... lmfao.

If I could do it, what would I get? :D
But seriously, to fit 30 hard drives in a 343b with assured compatibility using the requested parts, you will need the accessories that I mentioned and it would only be close to $500 before shipping if you got some good (great) deals and haggled your butt off. Fitting 30+ drives in one chassis is a pretty special request, some research/dealing might be called for. That's why I said to do the research first.

He said that he didn't want to use 5in3s.

Beggers can't be choosers, especially when they are in Europe.

Dual PSUs connected that way wouldn't be redundant or hot-swappable.

Then what is your point that you were trying to make?

If I could do it, what would I get? :D

A cookie, because it's not possible. I think I would know.

But seriously, to fit 30 hard drives in a 343b with assured compatibility using the requested parts, you will need the accessories that I mentioned and it would only be close to $500 before shipping if you got some good (great) deals and haggled your butt off. Fitting 30+ drives in one chassis is a pretty special request, some research/dealing might be called for. That's why I said to do the research first.

I'm pretty sure I know what I am talking about, perhaps you want to check out my Galaxy project threads.

Mountain Mods Duality.

Get the optional back plate and 2 x triple bay 120mm fan mounts.
Get 18 drives on the front 6 intakes, 6 on the back optional plate and 6 more on the triple bay 120mm fan mounts.

I'd consider using 5->3's if they have 120mm fans. Not interested in the backplanes that cram them together with hotswap and a 80mm 50dbA fan.

I'll investigate what it costs to get a case made locally, doesn't have to be pretty, just work. If that doesn't work out I'll either buy a PC343b or another PC-201 and put it next to my existing PC-201.

Thanks for your input =)

Beggers can't be choosers, especially when they are in Europe.

Alright. My bad for taking his wishes into account when I was trying to help. :rolleyes:

Then what is your point that you were trying to make?

I said "assumed redundant". That wouldn't be redundant. Pretty clear.

A cookie, because it's not possible. I think I would know.

I'm pretty sure I know what I am talking about, perhaps you want to check out my Galaxy project threads.

Wow. Dude, I don't know you personally, but you came off pretty self-important there. No reason to waste time discussing parts and projects or getting alternative viewpoints since you know everything, I guess. Pack up the forums!

I'd consider using 5->3's if they have 120mm fans. Not interested in the backplanes that cram them together with hotswap and a 80mm 50dbA fan.

The Calpc 5 in 3's are non hotswap units with 120mm fans. The fan out of the box is loud, but the 5v mod turns them down and still pushes a ton of air... the fan is easily replacable if you want to (mounts just like a case fan). Also has front filter to clear out the dust. It works incredibly well IMO.

I'll investigate what it costs to get a case made locally, doesn't have to be pretty, just work. If that doesn't work out I'll either buy a PC343b or another PC-201 and put it next to my existing PC-201.

Getting it made in your area would probably be your best bet, but it wont have the finish as a lian-li would. When you have one made (if you do), go with a much larger drive capacity and future proof yourself :)

Alright. My bad for taking his wishes into account when I was trying to help. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I said "assumed redundant". That wouldn't be redundant. Pretty clear.

Why on earth would you assume redundant PSU's for this setup? When you said adapter, it came pretty clear that you were talking about the wire harness adapter that links two PSU's. I guess you were talking about the bracket. In any case, you assumed to worst and best case scenario; worst in your assumptions and for the needs, best in the department of redundancy... which would apply to any server case... not just this PC343B.

Wow. Dude, I don't know you personally, but you came off pretty self-important there. No reason to waste time discussing parts and projects or getting alternative viewpoints since you know everything, I guess. Pack up the forums!

Obviously you have found my threads. Thank you. Now as you can see, I have build a dozen of these storage setups using my suggestions and others and have had pretty good exposure to what works and what doesn't. I also have a pretty damn good record and price hunting and shopping, some may call me quite frugal.

When you want to go shouting off on who's right and who's wrong, just think of those who have done it before... especially after you proclaimed that the components that I suggested was a pretty "special request" and required researching.

Fladaani, here is the modules from calpc that I was referring to: Keep in mind, in this picture, I still had the original prototypes which had 80mm fans... the ones you can buy now are all stocked with 120mm fans.

dsc034803md.jpg

Thanks for your input =)

If you do get one made locally, post with the details and pics, it might help someone else out later.

Good luck!

Been messing around in SolidWorks trying to come up with a design, and this is what I have this far.

Entire case is to be made out of 2mm aluminum, unsure what grade I should use, help needed. Exception to this are the drive racks (everything yellow basically) which is to be made with 1mm aluminum.

Everything thats purple are prefabricated components, the motherboard tray is lian li's, available for purchase everywhere in Sweden. The ugly purple thing near the back is the 2 PSU bracket that Ockie had such trouble acquiring (it came with my PC201).

15 + 15 + 15 5.25" bays accessible from the outside
16 internal 3.5" bays (Why are they called 3.5"? They aren't 3.5 ANYWHERE!)

The key words are "easy to manufacture" since I'm a threat to public safety with anything more dangerous than a hand held drill.

The plan right now is to rivet the drive racks to the bottom of and to the top of the case. I don't really want to rivet to the top of the case since its ugly, but I can't think of anything else.

I'm unsure if I need additional support for the drive racks.. I don't think I do since once the drives/backplanes/whatevers are screwed in they will help with the support of the entire structure.

(COSMOSXpress says that the drive rack with 500N (thats 50kg) of force applied downwards will deform a single rack if it is riveted to the bottom but NOT the top, with nothing screwed in... thats pretty much a non-event, so I think I'll be safe)

I apply that logic (no support beams) to the rest of the case too, with the exception of the corners which will have L formed brackets riveted in. (Am I crazy?)

I have no idea what to do with the motherboard tray. Maybe place a divider wall behind it that goes all the way up (with holes for cables?). As it is now it looks horrible.

Oh, and the ugly grey boxes with cylinder sticking out = PSU simulation (Silverstone Olympias) :p

Anyway, screendumps from SolidWorks - comments are appreciated.

case1.png

case2.png

case3.png

case4.png

Keep in mind that you need to be able to mount the devices in the center of the case.... if you have other cages on both sides you won't be able to screw the devices in.

I don't think it'll be that bad... its magnetized, and well, there's like 12cm spacing between the 5.25 racks

12 cm... 4.72", that has got to be enough room to stick one of those in and twist it a few times?

I'd build something based on two huge strips of sheet steel, a hard drive's width apart. All you need is to drill four holes per drive. I think you could get in the materials for £15/$30.

I'd build something based on two huge strips of sheet steel, a hard drive's width apart. All you need is to drill four holes per drive. I think you could get in the materials for £15/$30.

Not sure I understand, where would I place that?

Anyways, I like the design.. I'm just worried about strength and soundness of the build when it's complete.

What is your idea of covering the bay covers?

The bay doors will initially be covered by aluminum bay covers, much like the normal ones found on cases, except that they'll be 3 times as high. They will be replaced by bay converters and/or backplanes as I buy them.

I'm not sure about the strength of the case... in my opinion the "cd" and hdd racks, once drives are attached should act as 4 huge pillars adding rigidity (is that a word?) to the entire construction. My logic may be flawed however.

I've been looking at my pc201, and they seem to get by without much support for the case, even though it seems to be made out of 1mm aluminum, except the doors which are 2mm.

As for doors, I have no idea. All I know is that they will be removable and not supporting the structure.

Any idea on what "type" of aluminum I should use? (Alloy #)

Ockie is there anywhere besides calpc.com to buy those CalPC 5in3's?

Nope. CalPC is the only place for those fixed ones. PC&Powercooling used to sell them, but I think they broke off into CalPC, Where are you located?

Nope. CalPC is the only place for those fixed ones. PC&Powercooling used to sell them, but I think they broke off into CalPC, Where are you located?

I'm in Virginia.

I'm not looking to pick any up right away but they seem to be a pretty good (inexpensive) option for adding capacity to my media server in the future, and they look good too.

Back