Large and light

jaygatsby9

Weaksauce
I need a notebook/laptop whatever to do basic work such as using Word and internet; nothing fancy. I'd like the biggest screen possible but still lightweight for travel. Those things (and, to some extent) battery life are key. But I'm finding working on my 12.1 Lenovo X200 is just too small. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Try Acer 15inch Chromebook. You might need to use office365 for word editing or google doc.

Toshiba Chrome Book 2 gets my vote. Amazing battery life. 1080p screen (two versions and one with 768p) which is an IPS screen which is rare among Chrome Books. Its got a Trail-Bay CPU which isn't as fast as Haswell but gets MUCH greater battery life. Haswell Acer C720 got like 4-5 hours with decent usage. The Toshiba Chrome Book 2 gets about 9+ with similar usage.

The only downside is the Toshiba is more expensive but the Acer C720 has a god awful TN panel. I mean its even horrible compared to a normal TN panel. I would avoid it until Acer gets their shit together and offers a proper IPS panel.

I was thinking in the $700 range. Also, while I appreciate the suggestions for chromebooks, I would prefer a Windows machine.
Thanks.

I was thinking in the $700 range. Also, while I appreciate the suggestions for a Chromebook, I would prefer a Windows machine.

Thanks.

Maybe something like the Lenovo T440 or its variants would fit the bill for you.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/?menu-id=thinkpad_t

If you want to stretch your budget then you open up options like the X1 Carbon (900$ for the last gen model) which is the same 14" screen but 25% lighter and thinner. So it helps a lot with portability. In the ~1000 price range you have other good options like the XPS13 which has a beautiful screen.

Last edited:
Well, in case anyone is wondering, I got the new Dell XPS 13. It was $100 off, plus with the 10% education discount and 5% promo code, it was about $750 at the Microsoft store. It was the cheap screen and 4 GB RAM, but it works great and is perfect for basic stuff. Highly recommended.

Well, in case anyone is wondering, I got the new Dell XPS 13. It was $100 off, plus with the 10% education discount and 5% promo code, it was about $750 at the Microsoft store. It was the cheap screen and 4 GB RAM, but it works great and is perfect for basic stuff. Highly recommended.

Sounds like an ideal machine for your purposes -- you can even brag a bit about that design. Congrats on the new rig!

Congrats! The new XPS 13 is getting a lot of praise. I tried one out at Microsoft store a couple of weeks and it's certainly an impressive looking machine.

Back