Lara Croft Tomb Raider on X360

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, i'm curious what you guys think about the latest Tomb Raider on the Xbox360. I've had a chance to spend a little time with it now, and am impressed and disappointed. This is classic Tomb Raider at it's best, as it's been a blast. The graphics are also rather nice in high definition, but the frame rates are really bad in some spots. I just wish the gun fights had a little more substance to them, but it's not that bad. The water effects looks pretty impressive, especially on the first Bolivia level where you run through running streams. Something that really impresses me is the audio quality and audio effects in this game. I wish Lara Croft had a little more detail on her, as her textures can look a bit plain. If they can make the players in the sports games look almost photorealistic, they should have been able to do the same with Lara. I give this game a 8.2/10, which is mostly because the frame rates are so bad at times.

first let me say i have hated all previous tomb raider games till this one. i was bored one day and downloaded the demo. i got hooked. the story is what kept me going in ths game.

my 2 complaints are

1. the framerate dips suck ass (and i have a feeling we will see alot of this with this gen console)

2. i wish the story was a tad longer (1-2) hours of game play

i loved the game and cant wait for the next.

I really want to buy this game, but I just can't justify paying $60 for it when it's not going to run smoothly on the Xbox 360. I might as well buy it for PC and let my desktop melt.

If the game drops to $40 (same price as PC version) anytime soon, I'll pick it up, otherwise I'm going to pick it up for PC.

In the demo the tomb raider game is output resolution sensitive.

at lease for the VGA cables

640x480 ran super smooth and 1280x720 (720p) had the small bit of lag you guys are referring to.

You could try 480p and see if the game speeds up to your satisfaction...10-1 in about 5 minutes of gaming you wouldn't even notice the resolution drop.

I'll see if I can download the demo for the Xbox 360 tomorrow and compare between 480p and 720p to see how much of a difference in slowdown there is.

I'm assuming you're referring to system performance problems and not actual network lag when you mention 'lag', since i thought this was just a singleplayer game.

Anyways, that's disappointing that it chokes on the 360... i've had my 360 for over a month now, and it's just been sitting in the box... i haven't even opened it yet, and i was going to pick up a game just to break it out. But if it can't handle games that are just released, how the hell is this going to be handle games several years down the road?

moralpanic said:
But if it can't handle games that are just released, how the hell is this going to be handle games several years down the road?

I'm pretty sure it was a sucky job on behalf of the developers, as GRAW (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter) looks ten times better than Tomb Raider and runs without a hitch.

The problem that i'm thinking, is that TR is just a port to the X360 of what's on the other consoles. In about a year or so, we'll start seeing games that were designed exclusively for running on the next generation consoles, which will allow better optimization. This will mean the games were designed to run on these new systems, and not just be ported to them. The game does run really good at 480p, but I didn't buy an HDTV for my X360 to play games at 480p. I bought my X360 on Nov 22nd, and then bought my HDTV 6 hours later the same day.

I'm assuming you're referring to system performance problems and not actual network lag when you mention 'lag', since i thought this was just a singleplayer game.

Anyways, that's disappointing that it chokes on the 360... i've had my 360 for over a month now, and it's just been sitting in the box... i haven't even opened it yet, and i was going to pick up a game just to break it out. But if it can't handle games that are just released, how the hell is this going to be handle games several years down the road?

It can handle games just fine. I have bought and beat 8 games for it so far and loved every minute of it. There are occasional issues but what console hasn't had minor glitches.

BTW: TRL is one of my favorites and is well worth the money IMO.

dotK said:
I think I'll pick it up once it hits the $20 mark.

It's definitely gotta drop in price before i get it, especially since every review i've read says it's incredibly short and has almost no replay value.

I'll wait until I can get it for 30-40 dollars used.

60 is too much...But the demo is great and unless you are some sort of stickler the slowdown at 720p is there, but not by anymeans unplayable.

so here's a strangity for you...

with the VGA the resolution REALLY matters.

640x480 is super smooth. 1280x720 has a bit of slowdown

but with the component video at 480p vs. 720p I couldn't tell a difference in framerates.
480p = 7nn x 4nn where as 720p = 1280x720.

Why would it matter with the vga adapter but not with the component output in regards to higher or lower resolution...I must say the 720 p ran much better than the 1280x720 with the vga adapter???????

skittzle said:
It can handle games just fine. I have bought and beat 8 games for it so far and loved every minute of it. There are occasional issues but what console hasn't had minor glitches.

BTW: TRL is one of my favorites and is well worth the money IMO.

I agree. If you are a classic Tomb Raider fan, quit depriving yourself of some really good fun and puzzle solving. The frame rate dips are annoying, but as the poster a couple above this stated, it doesn't make the game unplayable. I just wish these developers would do a better job optimizing the game, as there are many games that look as good or better, with consistent frame rates.

junehhan said:
I just wish these developers would do a better job optimizing the game, as there are many games that look as good or better, with consistent frame rates.

That's what bothers me. We have seen better looking games on the Xbox 360 that run smoothly, such as GRAW. It's painfully clear that had the developers spent a little extra time optimizing the game, it wouldn't have any slowdown.

Back