Laptops With 3 Internal Antennas

dwilliams

n00b
I just had a pointless discussion with dell online trying to find out if the sandy bridge 15R's come with 3 internal antennas for wi-fi. Hoping someone here can help. If there is a better thread please let me know as well.

I am looking for a 15.6 inch sandy bridge laptop that has 3 internal antennas. I'm trying to get near that 450mps mark on my wireless network. I've got the router, i've got the wireless card, now I just need the right laptop. Anyone know of any?

My E6500 (C2D) with the Intel 5300agn has 3. Doesn't specifically help you regarding a new Sandy Bridge laptop, but at least some of the Dells do/did have 3.

I wasn't arguing with dell, I just made the mistake of thinking that they may know something technical about the laptops they sell. The guy actually told me that laptops don't have antennas.

@dashpuppy- I get a bandwidth of 300mps with two antennas.

I was able to find out some information about the dells I was looking at by going into the tech manual on the support sight. It seems like they actually have 4 antennas. Two for Wi-Fi, and two for Wireless display. I'm just wondering if I don't use wireless display if I couldn't use one of those antennas. If they even came to the same place by the wireless card. I could always just add another antenna, but that would involve taking the laptop apart, which I am not a fan of doing unless I absolutely have too.

I wasn't arguing with dell, I just made the mistake of thinking that they may know something technical about the laptops they sell. The guy actually told me that laptops don't have antennas.

@dashpuppy- I get a bandwidth of 300mps with two antennas.

I was able to find out some information about the dells I was looking at by going into the tech manual on the support sight. It seems like they actually have 4 antennas. Two for Wi-Fi, and two for Wireless display. I'm just wondering if I don't use wireless display if I couldn't use one of those antennas. If they even came to the same place by the wireless card. I could always just add another antenna, but that would involve taking the laptop apart, which I am not a fan of doing unless I absolutely have too.

Question: What is wireless display?

Also check that the wireless card model used can actually support 450mbps i.e. Intel 6300. I know that some older laptops only had enough room to run three antennas through the display. So even if you had an Intel 6300, if also had a wireless broadband card, then you would use two antennas for the WLAN card and one antenna for the wireless broadband card. In that scenario your WLAN speed would be limited to 300mbps.

Some people with only a 300mbps card and two antennas are able to upgrade to a 450mbps card and insert an additional antenna for a total of three. Provided that your laptop has enough room for the additional antenna.

is there really a need for 450mbps if your already getting 300? if your transferring lots of data... just plug it in.. it is a laptop after all :p

Wouldn't it be easier to just lookup the stock card that comes with it, and see if that card has three antenna connectors?

Also, if the card you're hoping to install isn't from a Dell, there's a good chance it won't work in the new computer. They're picky about what wireless card is installed, you can't just drop in any mini-pcie card you like.

@jalaj - Intel Wi-Di. Wireless displays. Streams to tv or monitor without cables. Also, yes my card does support 450mps, and tearing apart my laptop to add an extra antenna isn't something I want to do.

@arronearles - That is what I ended up doing. I went to the tech support page at dell, and looked at the manuals.

Thanks for the information. Heard about Wi-Di, never looked it up, makes sense how that works now!

So I take it that you purchased a mini PCIe wifi card already and you plan to install it into a laptop?

Usually the OEM vendor won't include extra antennas if they're not being used. Say you purchase a laptop with a 300Mbps card, then you're only gonna get two antennas even if the specs show that there is room for more antennas. In that case, if you do a self upgrade, you'll need to run an additional antenna yourself. Otherwise to avoid this scenario, just order a laptop with a 450Mbps card from the get. If they send you one with less than three antennas dedicated for the wifi, then I believe that could be grounds for a return at their expense.

Back