Laptops for business ??

Shumph

Limp Gawd
I have not really looked at laptops for years and have no idea on the state of the market. My job just tasked me with researching laptops for our telecommuters and road warriors. Currently when it comes to mobile computing we are a byod company but that is changing.

Can someone school me on the better brands these days? Would need the laptop for business/office apps. No gaming/video etc. Would need wireless and a docking station for sure. I would love some kind of security type stuff if it gets lost or stolen. Budget TBD but I would guess around 1500 usd or less.

Latitude E series, or Lenovo Thinkpad Yogas are what we're using these days.

I prefer the E series as they come with a 3 year warranty vs. the 1 year on the Thinkpad Yogas, but a lot of the people like the touch screen. We've basically standardized on the Yogas at this point

Lots of options at that price point. I think you need define some specific expectations around things like performance level, screen size, resolution and quality, battery life, device weight and dimensions, storage capacity, etc. The more specifically you can define your expectations the easier it is to come up with a list of machines that meet the need without having to spends lots of time looking at things that won't work for you.

What kind of work are they going to be doing? I know for our road guys at my company we buy panasonic toughbooks with i5's. They fly and have docking capability.

For just sales type people maybe a pro/elitebook from HP. Also the Lenovo Thinkpads are great. I call the 1-800 number if I have an issue and they have parts out to me right away. We currently use Lenovo t440s ultrabooks. I cant recommend that exact model because they are the newest iteration and have some issues. But, the other T series Thinkpads are great, just not the 440s.

I use an older i7 HP Elitebook 2540p for work. Great workhorse. Great for bringing to clients businesses/houses.

Dell Precision series here, IPS panel, i7/16gb/ssd/hdd/dedicated gpu/dock when I'm in the shop - love every bit of it.

Latitude E series, or Lenovo Thinkpad Yogas are what we're using these days.

I prefer the E series as they come with a 3 year warranty vs. the 1 year on the Thinkpad Yogas, but a lot of the people like the touch screen. We've basically standardized on the Yogas at this point

Personally I prefer the Lenovo T440s with the 1080p screen to the Yoga 2 Pro, but no touchscreen.

Lots of options at that price point. I think you need define some specific expectations around things like performance level, screen size, resolution and quality, battery life, device weight and dimensions, storage capacity, etc. The more specifically you can define your expectations the easier it is to come up with a list of machines that meet the need without having to spends lots of time looking at things that won't work for you.

Because they are potentially going to dock them at work I think ~15" screen size. I would want decent performance but really most of what we do is in word and outlook so I think most modern processors would be fine. Also 1tb storage would be more than enough. I would think we would want something on the lighter side but it would not have to be stupid light. Most of the time they will use the laptop at home or in public buildings where they *should* be able to plugin so battery time is not a top priority. (hope that does not come back to bite me :) )

What kind of work are they going to be doing? I
They are lawyers so lots of typing/emails. A few industry specific apps and worldox in the near future.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Back