Laptop

AndyMac

n00b
My dad wants to get a new laptop. He doesn't play any games, and wants it strictly for internet browsing, email, and word processing. Nontheless, he wants it to perform well, be fast, etc. He wants:

Wide Screen
M chip
Wireless Internet?
$800-900

Thanks,

Hope he likes those things. I sure would.

You're welcome.

AndyMac said:
My dad wants to get a new desktop. He doesn't play any games, and wants it strictly for internet browsing, email, and word processing. Nontheless, he wants it to perform well, be fast, etc. He wants:

Wide Screen
M chip
Wireless Internet?
$800-900

Thanks,

So, what do you want to know?

AndyMac said:
sorry...can you guys help pick one out...including best ram, hd, etc

How about this (you may want to upgrade RAM to 512MB), or this ?

They both have built-in wireless adapters. I wouldn't go for a Celeron based notebook.

Speaking from experience(I'm posting from a celeron based notebook right now) celeron laptops are the most horrible idea if you're going to be taking it anywhere w/o an outlet. They consume power way too quickly compaired to the pentium M processor. If I ever shop for notebooks again I'm definately going to pickup a centrino or at least a laptop w/ the pentium M.

I had a PIII-600 Celeron laptop. Damn, that thing really sucked (power). It was fast for most things, it played Sim City 3000 and similar age games.

I have a 486sx-33 laptop, its pretty lean on power consumption. When the screens backlight turns off, it only sucks 5 watts of power (hard drives running, with a game open in dos). but that is too far off of what your dad wants.

If you can afford to spend $1100 go for the cheapest Dell Inspiron 9300 (after $300 mail-in rebate), even with the lowest configuration it still comes with a 17" widescreen, a 1.6 GHz Pentium M CPU and wireless. Only 256MB RAM though, so consider spending another 30-40 bucks on an extra 256 MB DDR2 SO-DIMM chip (e.g. Kingston).

Back