Laptop wrist rest paint wear :(

Hooligan

Gawd
So like, I bought a Dell E1505 Laptop about a year ago and about 3 months ago, I started noticing that I was leaving a nasty, darker gray imprint of my wrist on the wrist rest of the laptop.

I use my laptop a lot, and clean it about once a week, but there are sessions when I spend 4+ hours on it and sometimes I'm outside or in the garage, where its kinda hot - so I sweat.

ANYWAYS... I've been searching high and low for some kind of product that can be used as a wrist rest or something. I've even thought about placing stupid stickers on the wrist rests just to cover the ugly imprints which are pretty embarrassing around campus.

Help!

heh, yeah. defeats the purpose of the laptop... usb keyboard is not an option

Why are you embarrassed? You have a nice piece of technology you paid for and are apparently getting good use out of it. It doesn't harm it's performance in any way. Screw those people who are afraid to take the clear plastic off there cell phone screens.

Protect the vitals of it and use what you paid for. Paint comes off. Finishes wear. This is life.

I use my laptop heavily like you, but I:

1. keep hands/fingers as oil and sticky free as possible

2. let keyboard cooldown after heavy use of laptop so that heat will not get trapped between keyboard and lcd and cause damage

3. saved the soft packing cloth that was between keyboard and lcd and still use it today

4. use a laptop cooler when heavily gaming

5. do not let people touch my screen (wtf is up with people using their pencils and pens to point to things on my screen?)

6. do not let people touch my touchpad (some people pound on their pads and a week later, they come back with a hole in it)

7. do not lend my laptop out

8. use powr saving features to turn of lcd after 5 minutes to prevent burn-in

9. use my laptop on a level/stable surface

Be happy that the wear is from your use and not others', You can only slow down wear and not prevent it.

If it is really bothering you that much the obvious answer is to buy a new palm rest. They can be had on ebay or from dell spare parts for a modest price and are relatively simple to replace, as long as care is taken. then you get a brand new touchpad to boot.

pretty much what joe said will solve the problem...

i remember when my palm rests were worn down too...alone w/ the awsd keys, and the left side of the space bar haha

I believe that there is a thin, clear film that you can get to cover those areas so that way you avoid such a thing. But I have to say that I am with everyone else in the fact that it is normal wear on the laptop, does not look nasty or disgusting at all and is something to be proud of because it shows that you love your baby. Normally you can use a soft cloth with some Windex to clean that grease and dirt from it or if you want to go for a heavy duty clean use rubbing alcohol or non-isopropol nail polish remover, but be very careful as it may fade or dry out the plastic and paint (yes that was a disclaimer).:D

I use my laptop heavily like you, but I:

1. keep hands/fingers as oil and sticky free as possible

2. let keyboard cooldown after heavy use of laptop so that heat will not get trapped between keyboard and lcd and cause damage

3. saved the soft packing cloth that was between keyboard and lcd and still use it today

4. use a laptop cooler when heavily gaming

5. do not let people touch my screen (wtf is up with people using their pencils and pens to point to things on my screen?)

6. do not let people touch my touchpad (some people pound on their pads and a week later, they come back with a hole in it)

7. do not lend my laptop out

8. use powr saving features to turn of lcd after 5 minutes to prevent burn-in

9. use my laptop on a level/stable surface

Be happy that the wear is from your use and not others', You can only slow down wear and not prevent it.

Anal retentive??

Anal retentive??

Not so much anal retentive as taking care of an expensive electronic device.

LCD screens can be damaged by people who poke them hard with their finger. You don't have to touch an LCD screen to point at what you want bring attention to.

Laptop coolers are useful. I have noticed a 5-10 Celsius degree drop on my GPU while playing games with a laptop cooler. Definitely worth the 15 dollars I paid for it.

As for lending out a laptop? No. especially if I want to keep it free of viruses and spyware.
Most people I know who lend out laptops end up with malware infested kruft loaded dogs and then they have to reinstall the OS. Not to mention the fact that they might drop it and not tell you.

Taking care of an expensive piece of electronics is not anal retentive it's good sense.

I had an Acer with pretty crappy paint that seemed like it would scratch off if you dragged your fingernail across it. I decided to prevent that by applying a good ten coats of Turtle Wax. I would apply some wax, then go over it with a hair dryer for a minute or two before buffng off the excess. Worked like a charm.

To bad the rest of the machine was junk. :(

pretty much what joe said will solve the problem...

i remember when my palm rests were worn down too...alone w/ the awsd keys, and the left side of the space bar haha

Same here, haha. I wouldn't worry about it, don't let it bother you. It doesn't make a difference at all... hell it almost makes me feel like my laptop is well loved haha.

The open space next to the touch pad, the wsad keys, and left side of space bar on my 9300 are rubbed shiny from gaming, you cant even read the wsad keys any more! Not much you can do about it tho unless you want to replace the top cover plastic and replace the keyboard insert.

Not so much anal retentive as taking care of an expensive electronic device.

LCD screens can be damaged by people who poke them hard with their finger. You don't have to touch an LCD screen to point at what you want bring attention to.

Laptop coolers are useful. I have noticed a 5-10 Celsius degree drop on my GPU while playing games with a laptop cooler. Definitely worth the 15 dollars I paid for it.

As for lending out a laptop? No. especially if I want to keep it free of viruses and spyware.
Most people I know who lend out laptops end up with malware infested kruft loaded dogs and then they have to reinstall the OS. Not to mention the fact that they might drop it and not tell you.

Taking care of an expensive piece of electronics is not anal retentive it's good sense.

I take care of my stuff as well... but seriously? Let the keyboard 'cool down'?? And shut the screen off after 5 measly minutes(LCD's should be good for 10 times that much or more at a time)?? That's just nuts....

I set my screen to turn of after 15 minutes of inactivity. The back light eventually will go out so setting the LCD to turn off after a period of time should extend the life. Turning the screen of after five minutes of activity just means you have to wriggle the mouse around more often if you read a lot of long articles on the internet

as for heat in the keyboard? Well my laptop is a DTR so I don't move it around that much and leave the screen up most of the time so I can't speak to that. However heat does travel up. Will it make a difference I don't know. On the off chance it does then he'll be ahead by that much even if it takes more time. If it doesn't, if it's not affecting you he can be as "nuts" about it as he wants. <shrug>

At of the ten points he made you show incredulity over two. So he goes a bit farther than you or I do. No reason to casually insult him over it as it is most likely not affecting you. Further more, as far as I know, the things he said won't hurt anyone if they choose to follow all the things he does. Except the fact that waiting on the keyboard to cool down might take up too much time.

I wasn't trying to insult... honest! :D

I am chuckling to myself right now reading this post actually. I just find it amusing is all. I guess I've never owned a laptop long enough to wear it completely out... I am somewhat careful with my laptop, but nowhere as much as him, and after having two laptops(on my third) none have been worn out in 3 years time yet....

P.S. I HAVE seen an LCD burn-in, but that was after a month or so of displaying the Win2K server logon screen.... never after even 2 or 3 hours of the same image being displayed on the screen though.

The makers of the InvisibleShield offer the option of custom-ordering a cover that fits any dimensions you specify... Might be worth checking with them. I've had no complaints about the cover that I got from them for my iPod, and I'm sure numerous people on this board can vouch for the quality of their products.

they only do custom orders for screen protectors only. not wrist rests.

well... thx for the suggestions, yall but im still dissapointed i cant find a simple product that i honestly thought someone would've created by now...

Back