Laptop won't boot on battery, reported charged but it's cold!

Ugh! Okay

I have an Acer Travelmate 634C and I've had it for about a year (out of Warranty in May, I believe).

Never been dropped, well taken care of, etc, but there's one problem.

I may have messed up here, I left the notebook in its case for 2 weeks, and I didn't take the battery out, should I have?

When I booted it up on AC power, the battery reported 2% charge, so I charged it up until it was at 100% (approx 5 hours while on).

Only problem is, I felt the battery and it was cold, didn't feel charged at all!!

So I tried booting it without AC power, and no go. I rebooted into windows on AC power to check the battery's charge, and it reports 100%, but if I unplug the AC power, the laptop will power off.

Any ideas? Do I need a new battery? I'll be phoning Acer (ugh!!!) about this shortly, but I'm about to leave on a small trip and I'll be taking my laptop. Probably won't have time to do it until I get back.

In the mean time, any ideas, guys? This is my first laptop, but I obviously messed up :(

If you're very sure I need a new battery, could you recommend a good online retailer? Canadian preferred, but I'm willing to look into retailers in the US, too. The battery model is BTP-39D1, an Acer battery. I really hope I don't need a new one, consider I don't have $200 USD right now :(

You need a new one, but most manufacturers have a one year warranty on their batteries. Call up Acer and demand one!

Back