Laptop will connect on one wifi network but not another one

slightlyhuman

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright guys, I recently upgraded my dads(vista rig) to windows 7. It ran fine, had all the drivers, etc. The wifi works fine on my home network. However, at his house it’s not connecting. I’m currently trying to get model numbers, etc to try and figure it out but in the meantime I was wondering what things to check while waiting on that information? His phone and my sisters laptop connected to the wifi just fine(so he says) but his laptop won’t.

I’ll update with more information as I find out but I plan on going over there after work(45 minute drive) and wanted to have a list of things to check so I don’t have to do it in multiple trips.

Windows 7 32 bit
Acer TravelMate 5520

Still waiting on models of router/modem.

Could be a protocol mismatch, e.g. WAP is WPA2 and client is WPA. Also could be WAP is N-only and client is B or G only. Could be interference, or wrong band (2.4GHz vs. 5GHz)

check the specs for that model laptop and see what encryption protocols it supports. I have run in to plenty of older wifi adapters that only support wep, if the access point is set for wpa2 (which it should be) then it wont connect.

Back