Laptop Warranty worth it?

Ducay

Limp Gawd
Howdy again folks,

Im looking at purchasing an Acer Aspire 3500 laptop. It comes with a one year warranty. For another ~100US I can get a 2 year extension of this warranty. In you guys' experiance, is it worth it? Im hesitant to have to shell out another hundred or so bucks when Im on a budget.

Anyone know if the manuf. warranty covers the battery and screen?

Generaly the battery is only covered the first year. The warranty should cover the screen if it fails but not if it breaks.

Batteries are often not covered at all. I think screens always are - mine certainly is. I highly reccomend getting a good warranty.

Get the warranty.....read up first and make sure what you are buying. If you are on a tight budget, a warranty is a must. Almost any part of a laptop goes out it will most certainly be over the price you pay for the warranty :cool:

I had a laptop that was near the end of it's warranty that wouldn't work on it's battery anymore. They told me that the battery wasn't covered and to buy a new one. When I did, the new battery wouldn't charge either. It ended up being a defective motherboard with some charging circuit issue... long story short, I got a brand new laptop :) and because it was old and discontinued they gave the FULL amount paid on the laptop back, which I used to buy another one. I will always get the warranty on an expensive and delicate item. If not just for peace of mind knowing that if something breaks, it's under warranty.

Yeah, nobody warrants batteries due to the fact that batteries in and of themselves are unpredictable. I beleive Dell will cover their batteries for a year (both of my Laptops' original batteries still take and hold a charge just fine). After that, they aren't too expensive if you hit up eBay (under $100 most of the time)

Best Buy is the only place I know of that covers batteries for the life of the warranty...too bad they send you shitty third party knock-off batteries. Not to mention the PSP costs enough you can buy nearly 4 batteries for the notebook, because the Performance Service Plan from Best Buy is worthless for anything other than batteries.

Both best buy and compusa warranty's cover the battery but almost always it is a 3rd party replacement unless they can't get them in time then they will put a oem battery in(this is how compusa works at least). As far as the warranty on batteries go dell is a year if I remember, sony I want to say is 90 days, apple is a year, hp is a year and I think toshiba is also a year. Mind you with the newer dell notebooks that dell puts a 90 day warranty on the battery would only be covered for that 90 days. For the price that they are charging you they warranty would as I said cover the screen if it failed, not if you cracked it. Yea as it was said before if you are on a budget the warranty is a good idea as if something does go wrong it will save you money. If you don't know how to repair a notebook for example(as most people can not) you figure that taking it to some place will range from the hour rate of what like 60 bucks an hour to something like compusa's 140 dollar flat labor. That is just to look at it and does not include parts. Keyboards go from 40 bucks or so to over 200, hard drives 80 to 200, screens 400 to a grand, etc... If you plan on keeping the unit a few years(as most people would) then it would be nice to have it protected.

Here's the best way to look at warranties for a laptop.

You just dropped 1K+ on a piece of electronic junk. Do you want to still use it past one year? How much does it cost to replace the hardware if it breaks? Warranry just paid for itself.

I will definitely buy warranties for my laptops but I could care less about the desktop parts I buy.

i highly recommend gettin the warrenty. i had about 3 weeks left on mine when my HDD died. after gettin it replaced, i quickly purchased the one year extended warrenty.

if youre getting 2 more years for only 100$, take it. youll thank yourself down the road. :)

I'm a pretty reckless computer user, only keeping the year and not opting for extensions. However, generally, a longer warranty never hurts. Most usually don't cover screen damage, though the company I bought from (discountlaptops) offered screen protection for $50 extra at time of purchase.

I don't pay for the complete care type things though, though I know of people who do and throw their laptops around to break them and get a new one.

Back