Laptop VS Desktop

sandman78

Gawd
If you had the money to buy a LOADED out laptop, would you get it OR would you build a killer desktop with FX-53, P4EE, dual 20" lcds or 23" monitor, etc.... I find myself not being able to decide, and I was wondering what you guys would do. I am not needing a mobile system right now, but I will be going back to school next fall and I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 (P4 1.7, 40gig HD, 512mb DDR, XP Pro) with docking station that I could use for school. I have about a $4,200.00 budget and I for sure am going to get either a new laptop or desktop. I figured the [H]forum would be the best place to get input. If you chose the Desktop, let me know what you would get. Intel, AMD, Dual Procs, Single Proc, Single Monitor, Dual Monitors, Video Card, Storage, etc...Thanks.

PS. Not concerned about PCI express. I will order a new motherboard after it comes it. (If I decide to build the desktop)

S@ndman

oh man, a killer desktop fo sho' :p

Right now the best laptop graphics that you can get is 9700pro. I think? :confused:

As for the desktop...

FX-53 Processor
1 gig nice ram
$150 mobo of your choice
X800XT or 6800Ultra
Big ol Power supply
nice set of klipsch speakers
120gb hd

I would go for the laptop cuz they are all small and sexy. You cant pick up chicks with a beastly computer.

Definitely the desktop. Laptops are great for work, but not for anything else. The desktop gives you substantially more power, and upgradeability. You still cannot upgrade a laptop as much as a desktop.

you already have a lappy taht good 'nuff for schoolwork, etc. there's no point in upgrading your lappy.

I would SO get a killer desktop. I mean your current lappy is plenty to do work stuff and a crazy desktop.. well, it would just kick ass.

I wouldn't spend that much on either. I see no point in buying the newest/most expensive thing out there.

One reason I'm thinking about the laptop is because I always have extra money to buy things here and there (computer parts, etc..), but I never have this much money at one time. And a high end laptop is always $2,500.00 --- $3500.00 . A high end desktop, if I decided I needed one, could be built piece by piece, using some parts that I already have, etc... What I'm trying to say is you can "wing it" with a lot less money and build a good desktop. There is no way to cut cost when buying a new laptop. You always have to have the money to buy it... period. LOL I don't know if how I typed that makes any sense. (with a little fundage, existing parts, you can wing a pretty good desktop-- to buy a nice laptop you have to have the money)

Its clear to me that you want a laptop but you feel guilty on spending so much cash on it :D

You could also get a notebook which has the best of both worlds. I just recently bought a Sager
3.2Ghz 800mhz FSB w/ Hyperthreading
1 Gb Ram
80 Gig Hd
Radeon 9700
DVD +-R/RW
15" WXGA Screen 1600x1200 Max res

Only cost $2,200 with shipping .

yah sager is nice but I only like alienware because of their replaceable vid card stuff

djnes said:
Definitely the desktop. Laptops are great for work, but not for anything else. The desktop gives you substantially more power, and upgradeability. You still cannot upgrade a laptop as much as a desktop.
100% agree.

Well...I have narrowed my choices down. See below:

1. Alienware Cyborg Green Area51m, P4 3.4ghz, 1 Gig of Ram, ATI 9700, 60gig 7200rpm, Wide Screen, DVDRW, XP Pro, etc..

2. Sager 5690 P4 3.4EE , 1 Gig Ram, ATI 9700, 60 gig 7200rpm, 80 Gig 5400rpm (for storage), DVDRW, Extra Battery, XP Pro

3. Desktop- Athlon 64 FX-53, 1 Gig RAM, (2)74gig Raptors in Raid 0, 250gig EIDE Drive for storage, Plextor 12X DVDRW, ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder, CASE(I want a nice one, somebody help), Audigy 2, 33.6 modem, (2)Two 20" Dell 2001FPs, XP Pro

Let me know what you think. If I build a desktop,I want a really nice case. I like the Coolermaster Wavemaster, and they have a blue version of it coming out in mid july. Does anyone know of other cases I could or should look at? If you do please post the name of the company who makes it or a link to it.

***Also,:confused: I do a lot of multitasking. I always have 2 browsers going (and I mean IE and FireFox) and each browser probably has 10 windows open, Downloading stuff, Listening to mp3s, tons of other stuff, etc.. Someone said the P4 was better for Multi-Tasking. Let me know if that is true and if I should go with a P4 System over the Athlon because of what I'm going to be doing.

Thanks!
S@ndman

Does anyone have any input about my multitasking question? Would a P4 be better for Multi-Tasking? Someone told me it would be? Seems like an FX-53 would do anything!

Thanks,
S@ndman

Go Option 3. You have a good enough laptop already. Get a killer desktop.

As for multitasking, I think they are about the same par, if not, the FX-53 is ahead...

Just curious what some of you would think about this setup vs. a desktop.
LAPTOP
Alienware Area51m Cyborg Green
Widescreen
Windows XP Pro
P4 3.4ghz
1 Gig Ram
ATI 9700
60 GIg 7200 rpm Drive
4X DVDRW Drive
WHEN THE LAPTOP IS HOOKED UP LIKE A DESKTOP IT WOULD HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
Maxtor 250gig 7200 Rpm External Firewire
External Audigy 2
Klipsch Desktop Speakers w/ dual Sub
DUAL Dell 2001 FPs
Wireless Logitech Keyboard & Mouse

Would you go with that or just a desktop?

Thanks,
S@ndman

9800 AIW? Get the X800 XT PE, might as well get the performance for the cost. You can pick up a TV tuner card fairly cheap.

I am going to go the desktop route. My 8200 Inspiron is great if I need to use a laptop again. Plus I have the docking station for it. Thanks for all the input. Also, I am either going to put a 6800Ultra in it or the new ati card. What is a good TV Tuner card to get?

Thanks,
S@ndman

Back