Laptop Upgrades

[Edit] Added some pics.

Bought an almost pristine Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14 and plan on swapping the 1 TB hybrid drive out for a 256GB AirEye SSD I have.

It has 8 GB DDR3 but I'd like to go 16 because, why not?

The problem is I read conflicting stories about RAM upgrades on these. Some say only specific sticks work.

The Yoga I have is 20DM-008UUS

Also may add more storage via the M.2 that is in the pics.

Help with some clarity please?

tHCw77v.jpg

oquuITd.jpg

m8KUcbY.jpg

Last edited:
Only has one RAM slot. a 16GB stick might work... but it will still only be running in single channel mode.

IIRC, the 14 did have 16GB max.

you need the shorter SSD, which most come in Sandforce controller, which I'm not a fan of. I wish I could find a 16GB like that, as that'd be the perfect size for a dual boot w/ Linux.

And did you already pull the 1TB SSHD? that's an SSD in the picture.

IIRC, the 14 did have 16GB max.

you need the shorter SSD, which most come in Sandforce controller, which I'm not a fan of. I wish I could find a 16GB like that, as that'd be the perfect size for a dual boot w/ Linux.

And did you already pull the 1TB SSHD? that's an SSD in the picture.

It does use the 42mm M.2 card, I did some perusing right now the largest is 512GB it looks like but that price...may just do as you suggested and use it for a dual boot.

I did, it's a 1TB HGST 5400 RPM, probably throw it in an enclosure and tote it with for storage or something.

Would 16GB in single channel mode be effective or waste, I know that it gives me more headroom but I don't see me maxing it out even at 8. May just monitor it and add it if neded.

I've had my Yoga 260 filled with a 16GB until I bought my P50. It handled virtual machines just fine, I honestly wouldn't have noticed single vs dual channels. I noticed enough vs. not enough.
If you don't think you'll be maxing 8, then just stick with it until you decide otherwise. I went back to 8 from 16 once I got my P50, as I have it do my VMs. I can live on 8 for the light stuff I do, and let it use up 36GB of RAM just in VMs.

Back