Laptop shuts down automatically

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
My laptop started to shutdown automatically with no warning every time the battery runs out without giving me a warning that its shutting down. The fans and the hard drive and all just stop along with the monitor when it happens. It is then impossible to turn on the laptop even for a second without plugging it back in with the AC cord. I think it may have to do with me dropping it once from a foot in the air because it didn't do this before. I have a Dell 700M. Thanks for any help!

there is a setting in windows power settings that allow for a warning or action when a battery gets below a certain point. you can have it goto standby / hibernate when it reaches critical battery level (e.g. 5%).

control panel / power options

Thanks for the advice. It seems now the laptop is just shutting off at random times. I'm guessing it maybe over heating but the computer doesn't get extremely hot when it shuts down and its can happen at any time including just browsing the web with firefox or writing in word. Should i try to take it apart?

Back