Laptop Saga, 2.0!

Yassarian

Gawd
The laptop saga continues...

While the Acer was a fantastic machine, offering everything I want(sorta), out pops Dell dropping 2 bombshells on me... The 9300 and the xps2. I was torn between keeping my perfectly powerful Acer, or be tempted to the DARK SIDE... The Acer is not a problem to sell at all -- it's practically new and LOTS of ppl want it! But the XPS2 is a bit expensive, and so were the 9300. Personally I could do w/o the 6800ultra as I don't really play that much fps. But the Go6800 does look very tempting with that HUGE screen (although there is a small issue w/ that, more later)...

So, then Dell decided to drop yet ANOTHER bombshell: 35% off coupon. And I just happened to have a $100 off stackable.

<sigh>
The Acer's fate was just sealed, sold and gone, I'm getting a Dell, dude.
Specs:

PM 760 (2.0ghz)
17" WUXGA
1GB DDR2
256MB Go6800
100GB HD (didn't go for the faster 7200rpm one -- I prefer space more)
Dual layer DVD +/-RW
Intel Pro wireless
Internal Bluetooth 2.0
9-cell Battery
2yr on-site plan.

Before discount: $3302
After discount: $2046, total a little over $2200 shipped.

ETA: March 18th.

Now for the long agonizing wait. :D

My only gripe: This system's Go6800 comes with GDDR1 ram (99.9% sure of this), which is unfortunate because it would be a bit faster w/ GDDR3... Since I don't do much fps, I guess I can probably live with that. haha

Will report when machine in hand!

cheers,

yass

the XPS2 looks so sexy! have you seen pictures of it on? it has leds everywhere!!!!

Lol that's actually another thing about the xps2 that turns me off of it... Yea all those LEDs everywhere are cool -- if you are watching someone else using the computer. But I wouldn't want MY computer to have all those f'ing lights on annoying the crap out of me. It gets old fast.

U can probably turn them off thou - one way or the other. <sigh> XPS2, no 35% off... <sigh>
heh

cheers,

yass

klowngoblin said:
the XPS2 looks so sexy! have you seen pictures of it on? it has leds everywhere!!!!

w/o doing any research Id expect GDDR-3 if only because if its like DDR-II it uses less power, and with as much as it already uses nVid would need as much help as it could get on that frontier.

The first 9300's are arriving to people. So far it looks like regular DDR on the 6800Go in the 9300.

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=67948

edit--- On second glance I cannot tell if they are looking at effective memory on the vidcard or not. I guess its still up in the air a little bit as to what ram it has.

Actually, if you go configure a I9300, then under the graphics card selection, click on "help me choose", you will see the details of the choices.

For the Go6800 under memory -- it simply says 256MB DDR.

It only makes sense -- I mean, the $700-$800 premium you pay for the xps2 hopefully doesn't just get you an overclocked board plus a bunch of bling lights... lol The performance gap must be greater than that!

At any rate I bought it with the understanding that it's the slower GDDR1 type, it's still pretty darmn sweet... :D

At that forum, they are saying that this Dell's screen is indistinguishable from the Sony WUXGA screen! I'd be *VERY* pleased if that's the case. haha

damnit dell, assemble it FASTER. -_-

cheers,

yass

Donk3y said:
The first 9300's are arriving to people. So far it looks like regular DDR on the 6800Go in the 9300.

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=67948

edit--- On second glance I cannot tell if they are looking at effective memory on the vidcard or not. I guess its still up in the air a little bit as to what ram it has.

Yep the 9300 is a nice buy for sure. BTW there is a $750 off coupon for the XPS 2 as well so it puts it within $300 of the 9300. For the $300 IMO it would be better to get the XPS 2 if you want the extra power the 6800 Ultra provides (roughly 2x the performance of the 6800). However if you're not an avid gamer like you mentioned, then the extra battery life the 9300 provides with good gaming performance is perfect. BTW the lights can be turned off the XPS2 so its not really a problem - although I look forward to them, its one of the things that I really like about it.

MFZ said:
there is a $750 off coupon for the XPS 2 as well so it puts it within $300 of the 9300.
Where'd you find that coupon? I've got a friend who's looking at the XPS2.

atlwriter said:
Where'd you find that coupon? I've got a friend who's looking at the XPS2.

Coupon code:?W$W$3K$D5R90Q Save $750 on select InspironTM notebook purchases $1999 or more
Begins: 3-8-05 1:30pm CST
Expires: 3,000 uses or 3-15-05 750.00 off Inspirons over 1999

Back