• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Laptop processor running high/hot? GPU as well?

notetcetera

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 16, 2011
Messages
124
Specs:
Toshiba A505-S6960
Windows 7
Intel Core2Duo 6500 @ 2.10GHz
Intel Mobile 4 Series w/ 1759MB(Shared)
4gb DDR2

The problem is, my processor is CONSTANTLY running hot/high. If I'm watching a movie in 720P on my computer, I'll get noticeable lag and artifacts and my processor will be running super hot and using a lot of resources. The weird thing is I didn't use to have this problem with my laptop.

I ran SpeedFan and it showed my CPU as running hot consistently, and anytime I listened to music/watched a movie it seemed that everything started getting hot(not so hot that my laptop crashed, tho).

What could be causing this?
I'm thinking about taking it apart and using some compressed air to get any dust out and toss some thermal paste on the CPU.

Thanksss!
 
The mobile 4 series, should be the 4500MHD, which is the first Intel IGP to have FULL 1080p h264, VC-1, and AVC (iirc, those three) decode. In theory, with the right codec, it will not have an issue at all.... (in reality, I use MHC-HC, which engages DXVA properly on my Acer 4820TZ - same IGP). Can you update the IGP drivers?

But as for dust? Every laptop I have owned, gets clogged up in about 2 months if the fan is constantly spining (I travel a lot), about 6+ months if it runs almost passively most of the time).
 
Hot is normal for laptops. However, how hot is hot? what are your temps?
 
Comfortable taking it apart? Have any pets? I had an older Acer for a few years that I finally realized was running far hotter than it used to. Took it apart, and there was actually hair/fur/dust covering the entire airpath of the heatsink. Cleaned it out and temps dropped 20C+
 
Hot is normal for laptops. However, how hot is hot? what are your temps?
I just formatted and installed Ubuntu 10.04 and it seems to be running A LOT cooler (55 degrees C), before it was like 15-20 degrees hotter.

Comfortable taking it apart? Have any pets? I had an older Acer for a few years that I finally realized was running far hotter than it used to. Took it apart, and there was actually hair/fur/dust covering the entire airpath of the heatsink. Cleaned it out and temps dropped 20C+
I've never taken a laptop apart before. is there anything I should be cautious/aware of? No pets, but I tend to put my laptop on the carpet. lol.

The mobile 4 series, should be the 4500MHD, which is the first Intel IGP to have FULL 1080p h264, VC-1, and AVC (iirc, those three) decode. In theory, with the right codec, it will not have an issue at all.... (in reality, I use MHC-HC, which engages DXVA properly on my Acer 4820TZ - same IGP). Can you update the IGP drivers?

But as for dust? Every laptop I have owned, gets clogged up in about 2 months if the fan is constantly spining (I travel a lot), about 6+ months if it runs almost passively most of the time).
I'm not sure I can update the IGP drivers as I'm on Ubuntu now. I'll look into it and let ya know, tho.



Thanks for the help. Much appreciated !
 
Back
Top