Laptop power sources?

Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
1
Hi guys I am new to the forum =). I want to mod my laptop with an external fan (case fan 12V 0.1a), but I don't want to use a separate AC plug. Are there any solutions to this? This is what I can think of so far...
  • USB 5V (but I would prefer to keep my ports available)
  • Draw power from the laptop but I don't know how...anyone can provide some insight?
  • Separate AC power source
  • Split the connector before the adapter and have a separate adapter for fan
Thanks.
 
OK here's what i did originally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EOHNixB0ZM

I ran a 12v fan off of the usb, but at 35% fan speed it had almost no pressure, so I came up with the v2.0 :)

CdGYY.jpg

ibBRe.jpg


I used a DVD case as a base sealed with hot glue, and a 5v laptop high pressure fan. The edge slips on the laptop allowing for modular use as needed :p. It works much better than the 12v as even at 1.91ghz it doesn't go over 56c.

If you can't find a laptop fan then you will have to use you laptops ac adapter, if its 19v though don't do that. If you have an old RC car battery charger, those are 12v and work well, and no, with just a fan they won't melt like so many did on me lol
 
Back
Top