Laptop picks up windows network, but no other tcp/ip traffic

TheDude05

Limp Gawd
I have laptop that is picking up my windows network but it can't ping anything or won't connect to the internet. The computers I'm pinging are the same ones i'm using the network with. Windows networking works fine, just nothing else. It also picks up a dhcp address fine. Any ideas?

Are you using any kind of software firewall?

Not on the laptop. Its a fresh install of win98. One of my machines has NVfirewall but that shouldn't matter. Plus the laptop should at least find the wan.

first of all, i'm assuming that you can get internet access with the 98 machine. if not, then let us know.

couple things for win98 networking (as best i can remember):

(*) goto your network adapter properties, and add the protocol (or some other category name) called "netbeui"... reboot when installed.
(*) any shared folders cannot have the folder names be longer than 12 characters for them to be viewable in win98.
(*) change the properties of a folder so that it is shared and viewable by anyone. you need to have at least one folder shared to be detected by a 98 machine.
(*) if you are using a domain, then add the 98 machine to the domain. if not, then make sure each machine is using the same workgroup name.

also, are you getting a username/password logon window when you boot up the 98 machine? if so, and you are escaping/cancelling that logon, then you are telling win98 to not logon to a local network.

hope this helps.

PTNL said:
first of all, i'm assuming that you can get internet access with the 98 machine. if not, then let us know.
The first sentence of his first post states that it cannot access the internet.

Is your wirless setup Adhoc?. Is there a reson your useing 98 over 2k?

Is the client getting the proper gateway address from the dhcp server? Can the client ping at least the dhcp server? If the client can communicate with the dhcp server to get an ip address from it then it should be able to ping it. Can the client ping itself? Do you have tcp/ip bound to the network adapter? What are you using as a dhcp server and what are you using as a gateway?

Back