• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Laptop Pentium M Speeds?

NeuroMaster

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2002
Messages
346
I'm folding again for the first time in nearly 7 months. Never got around to installing the client when I switched from my old desktop to my shiny new laptop. I'm curious: who else is folding on a laptop/notebook? I'd be interested to see how the Pentium M 1.8 compares clock-for-clock with the P4, AXP, and Opteron. I didn't pick my laptop based on folding performance, but I'd still like to know how competitive the processor is.

Also, how do those of you who fold on a laptop monitor your machine? I could get Electron Microscope for the client, but I'm more interested in the kind of information motherboard monitor gave me on my old desktop - CPU speed/temperature, that kind of thing.

Ninja Edit: Good to be back with team 33!
 
Here are some tinker core comparisons:

1.8Ghz Pentium M: ~8 minutes
2100+ Athlon XP: ~6 Minutes
Opteron 240: ~6.5 Minutes
Ahtlon XP 2500+ Barton ~2.2Ghz: 4.5 Minutes


All cores seem to run slightly different time so direct comparison is hard, but the Pentium M seems to be running about 2/3 as fast as an AMD Athlon XP at the same Frequency.....

Note: These are just my limited observations and not scientifically significant.
 
I know when the "M" first came out we had one member useing it, I 1.2 I believe. As I recalll it was very good with folding, as fast as the AMD 1.4 gig systems at the time.

Luck
 
I'm in agreement with BillR - at least my foggy memory is. I seem to recall that the Pentium M was stronger in the Gromacs than the Tinker, but that could be faulty memory.

Searching didn't yield much either, I'm afraid.
 
Back
Top