laptop parts?

wesmaster

Gawd
my girlfriend has a sony vaio latp top she bought from microcenter and the dvd/cd drive isnt working anymore. is there any place to get certain latptop parts? i cant find any stores online or regular stores that sell the drive she needs for her model. and i cant find it on sony's website anywhere. i was thinking about getting a external usb cd drive she can use in the meantime but she is really dissapointed that her computer is messed up and i would like to find the exact same part for her lap top

the part # is DW-U50A and its a cd-rw and dvd-rw

as a direct replacement for the internal drive on her laptop

do you want a combo drive that burns cd's and reads dvd's

or a dvd burner that burns dvd's (both formats) and burns cd's

the cost for replacement is $90 for the cdrw/dvd
and $150 for the dvd-rw

depending upon which one
the best place is either going to be newegg or dell spare parts

post back and i can give you more info on ordering

i'd like to get the same one she has now which is a dvd burner and a cd burner combo. i cant find it on newegg or any other sites.

I don't know how Sony does their notebook drives. But Dell's more recent notebook offerings have used some form of bracket or caddy to hold their drives in their machines. You might want to see if you can disassemble the dead drive to reveal a standard Laptop drive and a specialty Sony bracket. Both of my Dell's can be upgraded to whatever the Hell I want, but some assembly is required.

I'm not a laptop repair expert but it's my unerstanding that all of the drives are the same form factor and of course they all have the same modified ATA interface (AKA IDE). You should be able to simply buy a drive from Newegg.

Just to confirm what i'm saying I pulled the drive out of my Toshiba Tecra S1 and examined it closely. The only difference between it and the drive I saw on Newegg was that my drive has plastic screwed in along the edges to accomodate the media bay on my laptop. Also there what looks like a an adapter at the back of the drive which changes the connection port to be compatible with my computer, it looks like it is plugged into a port on the drive it's self (should be the same as on the drive you can order from Newegg).

Man, this drive is a sweet deal. It's a DVD writer and all that but SLOT LOAD! Man, i'd be checking that out. You'll probably have trouble tracking down a direct replacement drive and if you do they will be charging you through the nose. Check this drive at Newegg out, you should only have to (at most) unscrew the plastic etc. that is on your current drive and screw it onto this drive.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-133-004&DEPA=1

call dell

ask for the spare parts department
tell them you want the dual format DVD burner for the inspiron 9200
if they ask for the service tag tell them you dont have the laptop with you
cost is 146.99 shipped next day plus what ever local tax is
mine cost me $156 with Fl taxes
when it comes it will have a tiny bracket atached to the back with 2 screws
remove it

take the drive from the sony vaio and remove the bracket from it and attach it to the new drive and put it into the new machine

you will probobly have to do some triming with the bezzel
take note the bezel will be black and probobly wont match the sony perfectly

this works because about 5 years ago the industry standarized the interface on the drives and the placement of screwholes and the shape and size of the drives

if you need pic's i can post some if you want

Back