Laptop Motherboard Transplant

dreamwriter

Limp Gawd
As this is the master motherboard forum, undoubtedly populated by some modders, how possible is it for an older laptop to receive a complete motherboard transplant? There is a unique 20.1 inch laptop made by HP 10 years ago that would be an amazing vehicle for a newer motherboard. Has anyone tried anything like this?

wont work, tech has changed to much. you might be able to hack it into a stand alone monitor but would not be worth the time nor money.

Depends on the chassis and goals. Keep in mind you would be changing EVERYTHING, as well as some custom modding work. It can be done for sure....But the work ahead of you is probably WAY more than you want to or are able to do if you are here asking about it.

Depends on the chassis and goals. Keep in mind you would be changing EVERYTHING, as well as some custom modding work. It can be done for sure....But the work ahead of you is probably WAY more than you want to or are able to do if you are here asking about it.

I would never attempt to do such work myself, but a technician who worked on the machine (whi is no longer available) said it was possible. It's the HP HDX Dragon. It's a one of a kind 20.1 inch laptop with a fully adjustable sccreen, ergonomically. The idea emerged while some of us owners were attempting a GPU upgrade from the flawed 8800M GTS to the Quadro 3700M. We were 85% successfuk, in that the card performed normally except that it sent 6 bits to the 8 bit screen, resulting in a dull display.

This MB swap is something that a skilled modder technician would need to do. The chassis itself is quite large.

I would never attempt to do such work myself, but a technician who worked on the machine (whi is no longer available) said it was possible. It's the HP HDX Dragon. It's a one of a kind 20.1 inch laptop with a fully adjustable sccreen, ergonomically. The idea emerged while some of us owners were attempting a GPU upgrade from the flawed 8800M GTS to the Quadro 3700M. We were 85% successfuk, in that the card performed normally except that it sent 6 bits to the 8 bit screen, resulting in a dull display.

This MB swap is something that a skilled modder technician would need to do. The chassis itself is quite large.

Then yes, very possible, but the price is going to be extreme. Way more than a highend new laptop.

Think about it. The port locations are not the same on all laptops, right? First is an issue of sourcing those since with that laptop you have they are hard wired into the board. Then there's the issue of mounting it, powering it, and taking into account the thermals. Damn near would have to commission a PCB fab for it all.

I would poke around chinese forums and see if there is a solid mod community. Example - x201 lenovos had a group make a new motherboard,etc for a laptop.
https://forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1811153&extra=page=1

Think about it. The port locations are not the same on all laptops, right? First is an issue of sourcing those since with that laptop you have they are hard wired into the board. Then there's the issue of mounting it, powering it, and taking into account the thermals. Damn near would have to commission a PCB fab for it all.

I would poke around chinese forums and see if there is a solid mod community. Example - x201 lenovos had a group make a new motherboard,etc for a laptop.
https://forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1811153&extra=page=1

I know about 51nb, and even tried to contact the legendary Thinkpad modder, Leo Kim who knows how to adjusted the bit rate on the 3700M, but never manged to. It;s a good idea, but Google Translate is an awkward way to maneuver through those Asian forums.

Like...how much?

I don't charge for stuff like that, but have done work for myself. You would be looking at a few grand (without parts), for it to be done right. Very possible it would require custom composite work, a mobo from something else, there are a number of laptops today that have good power in a MUCH smaller form factor, fitting inside would not be an issue after gutting, then adding in some custom mounts for the new mobo, all the ports would need to be removed and extended to the correct external port section and mounts made for them so they don't break off in short order. As well as adapting the KB/Pad or replacing them to something that works, and same with the display, but swapping displays is pretty easy. Next is cooling, where you can go the cheap route and look for heatsinks from other laptops that are shaped close to what you need and bent out the rest as needed, you can find them for $4-10, so get a few for testing and breaking. Or go the nice but more expensive way of bending your own or total custom HS.

Needless to say, if you are asking how much, you cant afford it.

...Needless to say, if you are asking how much, you cant afford it.

I'm not sure that's true.

Any thoughts about the other problem....getting the Quadro 3700M to send 8 bits th the WUXGA display. We had no luck with the MXM swap, until a tech inverted or reversed the LVDS. The card works performance-wise , but with a dim appearance, probably related the card measured as sending only 6 bits to the display. (The 3700M is capable og 10 bits.)

I'm not sure that's true.

Any thoughts about the other problem....getting the Quadro 3700M to send 8 bits th the WUXGA display. We had no luck with the MXM swap, until a tech inverted or reversed the LVDS. The card works performance-wise , but with a dim appearance, probably related the card measured as sending only 6 bits to the display. (The 3700M is capable og 10 bits.)

I have zero idea and no idea about the problem, have never worked with that card or laptop.

Back