Laptop LCD Panel types?

Destroid

Weaksauce
Joined
May 27, 2007
Messages
125
After doing some looking around online and searching threads here, I have been unable to locate any information telling me what types of panels are used in the various laptops that are available - I have not even seen a brand publish viewing angle specifications.

I know most are TN from hands on experience but I am curious in anyone is holding a torch for high quality displays for portable computer - is there a centralised resource that provides this information broken down by model?
 
the 15.4" 1920x1200 panel I have on my Dell Lattitude D810 is better then any other laptop screen I have seen so far (a lot better then the 1600x1050 Dell panels)

viewing angles are great, black just becomes a bit more grey if the angle gets bigger
colors look nice to me (although I dont do colorcritical work and I am colorblind :p)
response time... euhm dunno, guess it is ok for a laptop... I dont play any games on it, I do look lots of movies on it and that goes "ok" for a laptop i guess...
sharpness: euhmz, have a guess... 1920x1200 on a 15.4" tft :D

but offcourse, you need pretty good eyes the handle the resolution
 
I haven't seen a source for laptop dispaly types. I think they are all mostly TN's anyway. Everyone I ever used was "shifty" as hell. Lenovo has a few S-IPS displays and I would get one except I won't buy anything Lenovo. If you want to know who made a laptop panel on a unit you own PC Wonder 2007 (free) will tell you. The first day I owned a laptop I realised that aside from surfing web and doing basic stuff laptop screens are rubbish (even on most expensive models). When I read posts in my photo forum asking what laptop is "good for photo editing" I just break into a nervous psychotic laugh.
 
I don't actually have one, nor am I seriously considering buying one. It simply piqued my curiosity and after missioning for a while I was unable to satisfy it. Mastakills panel sounds like a *VA to me, maybe some Apple laptops use IPS?

EDIT: Just to point out that not all portable devices need horrible displays, my mobile phone (Nokia 6300) has an 8bit display :p
 
Back
Top