Laptop keyboard overheating?

Easius

Limp Gawd
This laptops keyboard works perfectly fine for about 5 minutes when the computer starts up from a cold boot. Then it starts displaying random keys and not registering keystrokes, etc, etc.

Using external keyboard for days straight without a problem, its just the laptop keyboard after being on for more than 5minutes starts screwing up, only issue I could think of is overheating.

Think a new keyboard would fix the problem or is it something else?

That's the thing, neither have I, I'm wondering if some how heat damaged the keyboard and it works until it warms up again. This is definitely a hardware problem.

What kind of laptop is it? I know in many of the laptops I've owned (especially the Dell models), the keyboard is attached to the motherboard via a ribbon cable that clamps down into its port just below the keyboard. I've had this come loose and cause rows of keys to work sporadically and reseating the cable has fixed issues for me in the past. For my dell laptops, all I had to do, usually, was remove the plastic covering the top of the keyboard (friction fit) and two screws holding the keyboard down. From there, you have access to most of the motherboard and can reseat the keyboard.

Just something to consider. I know replacement keyboards for most Dell laptops run for ~$30-40 new, considerably less on Ebay, and they're painless to replace. I'd imagine costs are similar for most brands. Hopefully your issue is with the keyboard and not the motherboard.

I'd look for a copy of the user manual and see how the laptop comes apart to remove the keyboard. From there you can reseat it, or find a serial/model number on the bottom of the board for replacement.

Edit: Here's an example of what I'm explaining regarding keyboard removal. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9400/en/sm/keyboard.htm#wp1111863

If the ribbon cable was loose, why would he only get 5 minutes of use out of it? Wouldn't it just... not work?

yes, right off the bat it shouldn't work. The only possibility I can personally think of is that either it is an OS related issue or there is something wrong with the motherboard.

If you go to the dell bios and stay there for 5-10 minutes do the laptop keyboard also stop responding?

Yes, even if I boot to nix or dos, keyboard still starts misbehaving after awhile. I'm wondering if whatever chip that processes input devices is overheating? But then why would the usb keybaord work fine forever...

I've already ordered a replacement, should be here any day, let you know if new keyboard fixes the problem.

If there's a broken connection someplace - and I'm talking about billionths of an inch here, or in that neighborhood - and it works when the laptop is cold and powered up yet starts acting up several minutes later when it gets warmer then yes, there is the potential that the circuit or contact expansion by the increased heat could very well be the cause of this.

I'd say take the keyboard out, and the entire keyboard cable (the full length of it, then run a pencil eraser lightly over both ends to ensure the contacts are very clean, then put it all back together again and see what happens.

Several laptop models use the aluminum on the bottom of the keyboard as a heat sink for the GPU (usually less powerful GPUs, of course) and/or northbridge/southbridge chipsets. I've seen some get so hot as to actually scorch the bottom of the keyboard.

The keyboard itself doesn't pass enough electrical current to overheat itself, but it is certainly susceptible to the heat from the components beneath it.

I have a Dell Lattitude C640 that has a problem just like the one described here.

When you first turn it on, it works fine.
After warming up, several keys in the middle of the keyboard will send extra characters, the letter D sends a C after it - which really messes up the log-in. Enter the return key sends the " key. I noticed that the extra is always a key close to the one that it sends with, like S sends an X. Some are just diagonally off and others to the side.

It seems to be a heat problem and I noticed that there are two fans on this laptop - the large corner fan and a tiny fan in the back just left of center - it appears that this fan might not be working - so I suspect that it's a related problem.

Currently running Linux Mepis 8.5 on the machine and the problem occurs after 10 minutes of operation and it doesn't matter what OS is running, I've tried others.
The PS2 keyboard/mouse input accepts an external keyboard and that portion runs fine.

Back