laptop keeps shutting down

firas

2[H]4U
hi all

my friend has the following Toshiba Laptop

68755249dk7.jpg

it keeps shutting down (instant without blue screen)
we formatted it but that didn’t fix the problem
then we bought a laptop cooler (something with 3 fans under the laptop) but it kept shutting down!

what could be the reason(s)?

thanks

yes (when he bought the cooler)
he cant see the temps cause it only have HDD sensor!

It might be dead or as good as dead then. Have you tried contacting the company that makes them?

no, but could something else cause the problem? the memory maybe?

I have no idea.
Have you tried removing the battery and check with only the power cord? And the opposite.
You could also remove one memory dimm and try, then remove the other one (and plug in the previous) and check. If it is the memory, i doubt that both dimms are damaged.

I need you to PM me the full model number of the system. Both the normal one(ie a75-s205 or 1950-s350) as well as the part number off the bottem.

Toshiba had big issues with the consumer notebooks from that time frame with defective top covers. Pretty much the palm rest would short against the motherboard turning them off. They also had some fan errors. I just need the full model info to see if I can still look up what the fix is for it.

If it's not under warranty. You could try replacing the thermal grease on the cpu. I bought a dell inspiron 1100 used and it had hair and lint balled up behind the fan and the fan couldn't properly cool the heatsink because of that causing it to overheat. Try notebook hardware control to monitor the cpu. http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm

take it apart, AC5 on all heatsinks, blast it with compressed air, check that palmrest area, maybe line it with a anti static bag?

I knew this was a Toshiba even before I clicked the thread. :cool:

take it apart, AC5 on all heatsinks, blast it with compressed air, check that palmrest area, maybe line it with a anti static bag?

As I said I need the model but for the palm rest short you have 2 options. One is to replace it with the newer version. The other is to fix it with masking tape. Most we did were with masking tape unless they were under warranty.

Wow i have Satellite P35-S6112 and when i try to move it sometimes it would turn off! I'm going to crack it open again and see if i can fix it up. Thanks!!!

Wow i have Satellite P35-S6112 and when i try to move it sometimes it would turn off! I'm going to crack it open again and see if i can fix it up. Thanks!!!

That is not one of the ones known for shorting out. I would check for loose connections. Does the battery hold a charge? If not I would check the dc jack.

Back