laptop hd

Beave

Gawd
what brand do any of you guys reccomend? i was thinking the fugitsu; toshiba; or segate(if i can afford it) the ibm 30 gig one i have just went; some errors and stuff; it was only 2 yrs old. :mad: around 20 gigs or more preferably 40+gigs with 3 yr warrenty

i also need to buy and enclosure for another laptop hd for around 20 what do u guys reccomend

i remember seeing a post like this before the forums were upgraded. you might get a better response if this was posted in the Mobile Computing section. anyhow, from what i remember, people liked the new Hitachi / IBM notebook hard drives that run at 7200 rpm.

i can't wait to get some money to upgrade my laptop hdd. i've got a fujitsu 30 gig spinning at 4200 rpm and it's killin me.

can't help you with finding a good enclosure because i've never bought one myself.

I am happy with my IBM/Hitachi 5K80 (the 20GB version). It is very quiet and did not seem to impact my battery life going from the old 4200rpm drive. I only wish I could run the thing at more than ATA/33, damn 440BX :)

jcurry said:
I've got this hard drive on my list to put in my laptop...

Toshiba 50GB 7200rpm 16MB cache
http://www.atacom.com/program/print...92028_65_199_93_194&Item_code=HDNB_TOSH_50_72

I was looking at those as well when I needed to replace my drive. Reviews seemed to indicate that the 16MB of cache did not translate into a noticable performance boost (in fact, it was at the slower end of the comparisons of similar drives), and that it was a bit loud for a notebook drive. You may have done your homework and made the decision anyway, but I just wanted to throw that in there for consideration.

Back