Laptop Hard drives in desktops

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello [H],

I was wondering if there are any adapters i need to use a SATA laptop hard drive 2.5 to replace my desktop sized 3.5 SATA hard drives.

I am mainly doing it for noise reduction... i can't deal with the high pitch noise... i don't mind seek noise but constant high pitch noise drives me nuts... i have sensitive hearing... i was even thinking of totally ditching my desktop computer and using only laptop computers because of this noise. Every drive i have purchased for my desktop despite what their acoustic specs are i can hear the high pitch noise.

Everything else is water cooled on my desktop and is fine..

Thanks

The connections are the same. You just need to get an adapter to physically mount it in a 3.5" bay.

connection wise you dont need adapters to use the notebook drives in a desktop.

same data plug and power plug. i do it all the time for backups and reloading the drive.

For absolute silence, SSD is the best solution.

If your budget isn't that high (or you have other needs that an SSD can't provide, like storage space), then there are 3.5" to 2.5" bay adapters and suspenders that suspend the drive in mid-air, reducing acoustic vibration.

the WD green 1tb dirve is pretty quiet and a better value than a laptop drive for the money. It is only 5400rpm but with a 32 mb cache it is plenty fast for even multiple 1080p streams

To expand more on the OP question... The only "odd" sata connector you have to worry about is on slim CD/DVD drives.

I think that's the size of the HDD in the Dell Tough Books. I opened up the HDD and found a small HDD in there.

I've got two PC's with 2.5" HDD's in them. I love them as they're quiet and work well.

Hello [H],

I was wondering if there are any adapters i need to use a SATA laptop hard drive 2.5 to replace my desktop sized 3.5 SATA hard drives.

I am mainly doing it for noise reduction... i can't deal with the high pitch noise... i don't mind seek noise but constant high pitch noise drives me nuts... i have sensitive hearing... i was even thinking of totally ditching my desktop computer and using only laptop computers because of this noise. Every drive i have purchased for my desktop despite what their acoustic specs are i can hear the high pitch noise.

Everything else is water cooled on my desktop and is fine..

Thanks

Just snag an SSD and be done with it.

You could build a 100% fanless and noiseless computer; no moving parts, etc.

Then, for backups or long term archive storage or whatever you could have an external drive you could turn off when you don't have to have it on.

Vertex 120GB perhaps?

Well i dont have cash for SSDs at the moment. I am not bothered by the vibrations of the drive or when it is crunching. It is the constant high pitch whine noise.... its a high frequency noise that i can hear. Its not a buzz.... it's very hard to describe. Every drive that I have in my desktop has the sound.

I think i will look into a laptop hd though.....

thanks for the help everyone.

Are you positive that the noise is coming from your hard drive? It sounds more to me like you're describing the noise that capacitors make when they start to go bad. Have you tried a different mobo or power supply? I had that problem with my home setup recently and it turned out that the lcd monitor was just getting old.

Well i dont have cash for SSDs at the moment. I am not bothered by the vibrations of the drive or when it is crunching. It is the constant high pitch whine noise.... its a high frequency noise that i can hear. Its not a buzz.... it's very hard to describe. Every drive that I have in my desktop has the sound.

I think i will look into a laptop hd though.....

thanks for the help everyone.

I would look at a WD GP drive. They are as fast or faster than a notebook drive, most likely bigger for the money, and very quiet. I have 3 running in my NAS, and if I put my ear right next to them, I can hear a faint tapping from the heads moving and nothing else other than the cooling fan in the NAS. Since they run at 5400 RPM, any noise from the platters spinning would be a lower frequency anyways.

Just don't get a 7200 RPM laptop drive or you will prolly be able to detect the same high pitch whine if it is related to the rotation of the platters. :eek:

Don

Back