Laptop hard drive, running out of ideas, need help!

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have this old HP zt1135 laptop that my girlfriends mom wanted me to look at, she thinks she has yet another virus cause it's the only computer in the house and she has a son who lets just say is discovering girls. Anyways, I run it through several virus/malware/spyware scanners and come up with very little in terms of any problems, thats the good news.

Now, I have a USB 2.0 IDE adapter, hooked up the laptop hard drive to that, plugged in the USB in to my computer and a molex on to the adapter as well for power then turn on my pc. Now I can see the drive and I can access it, but if I tried to use the windows defrag program it would say it is a read only drive. So I tried using Genie-Soft imaging to back up the whole drive to my server just in case, but basically every single file it tried to backup, I kept getting an error to mft$. I figured then that I could use SpinRite to refresh or at least somewhat repair the drive to a more working period, and this is the only hard drive I have attached to the computer when I try this, it shows me the small area HP put for diagnostics but when I go to look at the main partition. SpinRite is telling me that the drive is either offline or it is reporting back wrong size then what it should be.

I have no idea where to go from here, I suppose I could try to just select majority of the files and copy them over, but that seems crude and I don't want to miss anything on there. Does any one have any suggestions at all, seems like this hard drive is on one leg that is getting weaker every minute. :confused::confused:

1. Right-click the Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

After that you should be able to transfer all the files over.

Back