Laptop gaming from a couch? How is it?

jmk396

Gawd
Right now I have an iPad but I'm thinking about buying a Macbook Air (or similar) so that I can sit on the couch and play some PC/OSX games while my wife watches TV, etc.

I already have a nice dedicated gaming rig downstairs in my office, but I was just thinking about something smaller I can use on the couch...

I'm not expecting to play FPS games, but some indie games or strategy/turn-based games could be really fun.

Is anybody else doing this?

I've tried a trackball from the couch and it's just not for me, so I would either use the trackpad on the laptop or maybe a mouse using a book as a mousepad, etc.

xbox 360 wired controller, wireless mouse and kb with a laptop cushion desk or two all work well. heck, I just use my leg or armrest for my mouse and kb on my lap.

well, if you can find the right coffee table or tv dinner table then you'll be set.

Bejeweled, plays on your phone, no need to buy $1,400 worth of hipster gear either.

Works fine on my Alienware laptop, nice big beautiful screen right in my face, laying back in my leather recliner. Even better with an excellent pair of cans and something to place mouse on.

Bejeweled, plays on your phone, no need to buy $1,400 worth of hipster gear either.

What? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I picked up a lappy for this reason back in August. I found it was to much of a PITA to move it around my house and even a bigger pain to use a mouse while sitting in a chair. My lappy now lives on my desk in my office and never gets moved. I now mess around with my Playbook while my wife watches her shows which is what I did before I dumped a bunch of cash on the laptop.

Stick with your Ipad.

I picked up a lappy for this reason back in August. I found it was to much of a PITA to move it around my house and even a bigger pain to use a mouse while sitting in a chair. My lappy now lives on my desk in my office and never gets moved. I now mess around with my Playbook while my wife watches her shows which is what I did before I dumped a bunch of cash on the laptop.

Stick with your Ipad.

Congrats, you use a laptop where a desktop should be. My 8 core rig and dual screen probably gets more movement than your laptop...

macbook air's are rather pathetic. grab the 2.5lb Acer aspire S7 I think it is or a samsung series 9 2.5lb'er.

I like to use a recliner myself for a laptop. If the cushion is just right a mouse works great on it but many chairs it doesn't quite fit right. Last time I went chair shopping I brought a laptop and mouse into the stores with me while picking things out.

It's not too bad. I'm able to play World of Warcraft on my laptop it's a bit awkward at first but you get used to it.
For other games I can use my PS2 controller works well.
But I'd recommend if you do get a laptop for gaming make sure you get a decent size screen.

Mini MS wireless keyboard on my left armrest, wireless mouse on my end table to my right and a wireless xbox controller with the MS transmitter. 52 inch 1080p plasma and 7.1 surround system. I would never go back to a desk and monitor :)

Mini MS wireless keyboard on my left armrest, wireless mouse on my end table to my right and a wireless xbox controller with the MS transmitter. 52 inch 1080p plasma and 7.1 surround system. I would never go back to a desk and monitor

What games do you play?

Back