Laptop for recording?

Luca1

Limp Gawd
Hi,

Want to invest in a portable laptop to record at home and also record live bands using a 16 input firewire interface, running protools to record..

What am I looking at to do this?.. I have a home pc for gaming and video so this is just a portable recording setup..

Thanks for your time

:Luca

Since it would be over a digital connection, you pretty much will just need a fast processor and a decent amount of RAM. Depending on your budget, go for a higher-end Core 2 duo or a Core i7. You will be fine with integrated graphics, so don't spend any money there.

If you give us an idea of your budget we can suggest specific models.

Not really worried about budget. I just want one that can handle the job. As you suggested, not spending money on the graphics is sensible to me :)

So yeah, don't want to spend mega on a mad gaming laptop. I pretty much will get the thing, wipe the OS clean install my own.

4Gb RAM should be enough yeah?

Is quad core more suited to audio recording or the duals?

I basically wanna find the most sensible laptop for this project. It for recording only. I have a PC already for all the editing and such. But I don't want to cheap out and get lag and shit, especially when I recording live acts :)

Price to performance has never really been my thing (within reason), its more about the right part to do the right job the right way without being a maniac with my money :)

:Luca

What's your recording software? Are you partial to Mac or PC?

Back