Laptop for 11yr old

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of getting my daughter a laptop for her birthday in a few months so she won't have to share the desktop we have with her brother any more. Do you think it will be possible for me to find a decent laptop with these specs for $400 including shipping/tax?

I'm thinking 15" screen and i'd like it to have
windows 7
dual core 2GHZ or faster
3GB ram
250GB HD
i'm thinking just onboard video
preferably wireless N since our router is in basement and her room is 2nd floor.
6 cell battery

Any particular brands that it would be best to avoid? I'm not a big fan of toshiba and it looks like the other potential options are dell, HP, Asus...others?

She mostly just watches youtube and plays games from big fish games that don't take a lot of graphics power.

after watching what has happened to my 13 year old sister the best laptop would be no laptop..

I know that doesn't help you at all, so yes If you continually search you ill find a laptop for that price or very close to it. Although you say you would prefer no Toshiba I just recently used one as a work laptop for 2 weeks and it was great and very reasonably priced. It did not compare to the POS toshiba I used 4 years ago. Search bestbuy over the next 2 weeks and you will find an HP or Toshiba. Good Luck.

after watching what has happened to my 13 year old sister the best laptop would be no laptop.

That or Net Nanny + limited user account, especially if she's just playing some low-demanding games and only browsing Youtube.

Um, don't let her have access to a webcam.

I like Lenovo laptops.

Hi, First post on this forum.

May I suggest any ASUS in your range. Thats what I purchased for my 9 year old. You cant beat the warranty. Base 2 years with full accidental on the first year for free. Includes drops, spills and all that good stuff!

thanks for the tip on the Asus warranty. i don't really know much about Asus but knowing my daughter a good warranty could definitely come in usefull.

id go with 40$ pIII laptops with hd and ram upgrade. you dont need much power for youtube web browsing and online flash games. 3gb ram? dual core? you kidding? unless encoding barbie movies i dont see the point other than bragging rights i have 4 40$ laptops i let the little ones use they love it and i even use them fine for all my needs. little bulky but thats it

Back