• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Laptop folding assistance

ICE_9

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
3,459
I have setup my laptop to accept QMDs (-advmethods, +BigWU, and its a Pentium). It hasn't pulled one yet and I was wondering if anyone knew why? It's an Inspiron 9300 with an Intel 740 processor.
 
Is that a mobile chip? P-M won't grab QMD's, also system needs to report > 504 RAM
 
marty9876 said:
Is that a mobile chip? P-M won't grab QMD's, also system needs to report > 504 RAM



to answer your question on behalf of him, yes its a pentium-m mobile chip. the 7xx series are, rather 'were' since intel has changed it again, pentium-m chips.
 
i have the inspiron 6000 for work and i just set the -advmethods and it has been picking up some big pointers with that.
 
Only pentium 4 chips can run QMD's I think. I don't think the Pentium M's have SSE3 do they?
 
Stanford Linky
What about SIMD (SSE/SSE2/3D-Now) support? QMD core uses double precision only. Therefore, only SSE2 will be useful. Currently, Intel Pentium 4 SSE2 is supported.

I can't get a link to it but on the intel site is says this chip has SSE2 instructions. The system has 1GB of memory in it. It's my mobile "game while the boss isn't looking" computer. :D
 
ICE_9 said:
I can't get a link to it but on the intel site is says this chip has SSE2 instructions. The system has 1GB of memory in it. It's my mobile "game while the boss isn't looking" computer. :D
Hey...that what my laptop is :)
 
I'm kinda wondering why QMDs are only on P4s. I'm going with the they are Intel whores theory. :D

On a serious note, I'd love for my Inspiron 6000 to grab QMDs. It has 2GB of ram, so it's not hurting there. I'd also like to see them on A64/Opteron sooner rather than later. What is Stanford and son waiting for? Get coding you cali hippies! :p
 
The stanford link has the info on why they are going with just the Intel chips right now. It also brings into light that a Linux system will not get QMDs either unless running the client under Wine.
 
ICE_9 said:
The stanford link has the info on why they are going with just the Intel chips right now. It also brings into light that a Linux system will not get QMDs either unless running the client under Wine.

Ahhh, I guess it pays to actually click on the link. :rolleyes:

I'd like to kick Intel in the nuts for pulling that shit. Oh well for now.
 
Wanna hear something funnier, read farther down the page. I got my answer! :rolleyes:

14. What about new chips such as the PentiumM or Pentium 4M? New CPU id's will be supported once the CPUID code is updated in the v6 client.
 
Back
Top