• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Laptop Cooling questions

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 24, 2006
Messages
1,429
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. I few months ago I tore it down for a learning experience and while I was in there decided to replace the dell cpu tim with AS5. for the past couple months the cpu has been running fine and have been monitoring the temps. Then I started folding again with the laptop and now even with the fan setting at a continuous high setting (which is loud), the laptop cpu is consistently hitting 65C degrees. Without load is typically hovers around 40C with speedstep enabled.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to cool her off a bit better?
 
Have you tried one of those laptop cooler things you prop your laptop on top of?
 
I'd prefer to not use one of those as I travel with my laptop to and from school and constantly use it on my lap. I wouldn't mind using a laptop cooler for dj gigs, but for general use I'd like to stayaway from them IF POSSIBLE.
 
For a mobile CPU, that is a great load temp. Considering that my C2D macbook hits 85C at full load, I think you're doing fine.
 
ok, thanks zaxour, just wanted to make sure it wasn't out of the normal spec.
 
I have the E1505, which is basically the same as the inspiron 6400.
I have a T5300 in mine and I crunch for WCG with the BOINC client. My temps are a max around 140F. I have my T5300 undervolted with cpu Rightmark to run at 0.950V at all multipliers.
I use I8KFANGUI, to force my fans to full speed.
My fans are always running at full speed, and I do not think that the fan is very loud.

Their are different fan options for the inspiron 6400/E1505, with fans ranging from 6.8 to 8.4cfm.
I have the 8.4cfm fan, and it is a good fan
link to 6.8 cfm fan:
http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html/details.asp♥♥♥♥♥♥♥290&category=fan

link to 8.1 cfm fan:
http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html/details.asp♥♥♥♥♥♥♥409&category=fan

link to 8.4 cfm fan:
http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html/details.asp♥♥♥♥♥♥♥744&category=fan

K-TRON
 
Thanks K-Tron :)

Yea, I too use I8KFANGUI, but I use it in variable mode. anything over 37C, and its in low speed, anything over 45C and it uses high speed mode. Personally, my fan seems loud (I guess I just like a quiet laptop). I guess I'll have to try undervolting and see if I can get away with it.

I'd rather not replace my fan, but the links you gave didn't work. I went to the site and saw them, but it didn't show the CFM rating on the site.
 
Back
Top