Laptop connecting to new router.......kinda

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
The new router is a Trendnet TEW-652BRP. The router is hardwired to an XP desktop and it works fine. When left unsecured, it'll connect wirelessly to the Inspiron 6000 laptop (XP) just fine. But the issues start when you enable the protection.

I tried all of the protection types and they all do pretty much the same thing. It will ask for the password, accept it, and tell you you're connected. Laptop is G and the router is N so the signal is maxed out. When you hit internet explorer, it will load a fraction of the page (sometimes just the title) and basically time out trying to download the rest. It's like the laptop loses the connection after a fraction of a second. If you check the wireless connections it'll say it's still connected at full strength but nothing loads.

I've tried power cycling everything obviously as well as repairing the network connection. I'm trying to round up another laptop to take over there to see if it's the laptop or the router. I didn't mess with any of the other router setting because I don't know jack about them. Any thoughts?

So the PC that has a wired connection to this ISP runs fine, but on the laptop, you get time outs and stuff? Can you run a tracert.exe when connected, from the laptop to outside your network so you can see where you're getting bogged down?

Thanks, I'll give tracert.exe a shot. Like I said before it connects perfectly if WEP/WPA is turned off. But even when they're turned on, it'll accept the password and connect for a fraction of a second and seemingly lose the connection immediately. It'll connect just long enough to load a small portion of a page and that's it.

Back