Laptop can't log onto computer

maddude

2[H]4U
I have a mediacenter PC that I have hooked up to a wireless router so I can share it with my roommates. I created an account on the pc with limited access, so they can read the files, but not change or delete them. My problem is that 2 of my roommates can't log on. The mediacenter is running MCE2K5. I can log on with my Vista laptop with out any problems. My roommates can log onto the wireless network and see the folders I have shared, but cannot open them, it says access is denied. On my laptop it asks for the username/password, that does not show up on either of the other laptops, it just shows the folder without asking for username/password, and then I can't get into the folders. The one laptop is a dell with XP Pro and the other is a dell with MCE2K5, both have the same problem.

Any ideas?

are the workgroup names the same?

is the guest account enabled?

Does anyone have any idea why the 2 laptops don't even ask for a password/username like they should? They just go right to the folders I have shared, and I can't access them because I never was asked to enter a password?

I can't be the only person who has ever had this problem...

Back