Laptop brand suggestions?

veterator

[H]ard|Gawd
This is for my mother, she insists she needs a 17 inch screen and would like to get a backlit keyboard. From my browsing it seems like the 15 inch ones are of the biggest variety.

It's just used for email and youtube videos, absolutely no gaming.

My issue is here that I have no idea on the brands that are worth having in laptops. Was thinking Dell, Asus, maybe HP. But Im here looking for suggestions from more people.

Budget is 500-1000 dollars, would like to keep it closer to 500 if possible.

So my guess at roughly needed specs:
17 inch screen - hopefully 1920x but looks like a lot of them are under that until you break 1k budget.
Back lit keyboard
8gb (or upgradeable to it)
SSD (possibly upgrade to it, I know some laptops have room for multiple drives now)

I'd also hear really good recommendations on 15 inch laptops or touch screens if an argument can be made for them in usability with Win 8 or Win 10 as I haven't used either with a touchscreen.

If you don't mind refurb, this is a great deal

Dell 17 7000

I have the previous gen one in 15" format (specs in sig) and I love it. I think that hits all the buttons. I bought mine used, and got a great deal on it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it again.

If you cut down to Core i5 or non-touch you can get it cheaper. I got used to the touchscreen and use it in conjunction with keyboard and touchpad, and its a nice experience overall.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back