Laptop Battery Care

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
I just spend 90 on a new battery and I want to learn the best way to take care of it, should I take it out if i run it dead while on ac, or even if its at half power take it out?

Patman said:
I just spend 90 on a new battery and I want to learn the best way to take care of it, should I take it out if i run it dead while on ac, or even if its at half power take it out?

If its a lithium ion it really doesn't matter.

isn't that NiMH or something? aren't linths a total bitch with memory?

Patman said:
isn't that NiMH or something? aren't linths a total bitch with memory?

NiCd - Total bitch with memory
Lead acid - never let them die
NiMH - Not too bad with memory
Lion - No memory, take abuse very well.

lithium ion cells are a bitch with voltage. the charge and discharge voltage constraints are very annoying... at least for the cells themselves

If you won't be using it for more than 4 weeks, charge to 75% and pull out of the laptop. If fuly charged and kept out it will damage the battery if not used again in a month or so.

Heat is an issue, if your laptop runs hot and the battery is hot to the touch on AC, remove it when docked.

Lithiums also don't like too many deep discharges, don't let you battery drain all the way frequently.

Let me see if I've got this straight:

With NiMH and NiCD, drain them completely every once in a while, fully charge them, etc.

LiION: Drain them completely every once in a LONG while (like, year or two), otherwise try to keep them above 20%.

Lead Acid: Don't see these in laptops (duh). In cars, though, don't let them die. Horrible, horrible memory, only good characteristic is sheer amperage.

Back