• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Laptop as Primary Computer

Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
9
Can anyone help me? I want to get a new computer in the next month or so, and I'm curious about whether it would be wise for me to get a laptop and use it for everything with an external hard drive to give me more space.

I watch a lot of online media and I'm getting into video editing a bit. I play The Sims and some games from reflexive.com, flash games and I'm looking forward to Spore and I might start playing City of Heroes/Villains. I'm not a huge gamer though.

Would a laptop work for me, or would it be better to get a new desktop and a cheap laptop?!

I can technically spend around $1500 total, but I'm really hoping to stay under $1000. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
 
I think this all really comes down to personal preference. When I buy a laptop I buy it for portability and connectivity. I'm due for a new laptop (still using my Inspiron 700m) myself, but I doubt I could get the performance and storage that I use on a daily basis in a laptop form that would meet my portability requirements.

A friend of mine recently bought a 17" laptop, and to me that's not a laptop, it's for all intensive purposes a desktop replacement... not something I'd want to carry through an airport or across a campus (if I was still a student).

That's just my thoughts, and again it may not help you, but you really should think about why you want a laptop. If you want portability... consider building a desktop and buying a laptop, but your budget most likely won't get you both.
 
I've been doing that for years with a Macbook Pro, but now I'm trying out the laptop/desktop combo again, mostly because I want something that can drive 2-23" or 30" monitors.
 
It sounds like you'd be better off with a desktop. Gaming and (heaven forbid) video editing scream out for high performance desktop components. You will be clawing your eyes out as you wait for video to dribble over that 5400RPM USB hard drive. For $1500 sans monitor, you can put together a nice little desktop rig.

Even the times when I let insanity take hold of me and try to work by with a 17" portable PC, the issues of weight, reliability, and heat (most of all) always make it a pain to use. And trying to get things done on that small of a monitor, just stinks. And if I was going to 'dock' the thing to desktop components, well I should have just used a desktop in the first place.

Ideally, you could build a desktop for $1000 and then get some cheapie laptop from a Dell sale for $500 later.
 
the real question is how much video editting you will end up doing. my aunt bought a high end computer because she thought she was "photo editing"; in reality, she was just removing red-eye and cropping the photos, etc. outside of that little tidbit, it really is all personal preference.
i plan on picking up a super small 13 inchish laptop to carry around with me, but when i get home and want to play games or watch movies, imma hook it up to my 22in widescreen, the screen real estate question is somewhat open (depending on your wants/needs). like you though, im not a hardcore gamer.

how important is mobility to you?
if its a none factor, i cant imagine why you would want a laptop, seeing as how a desktop is almost always cheaper; unless you got some crazy deal on a laptop or something.
 
Well, problem is with a laptop you are pretty much stuck with what you get for the most part. You can upgrade it a bit but in the long run after about 3 years its far from "top of the line". A laptop is good for mobility tho and its better then dragging a desktop everywhere. ;D

If you don't think you're going to be moving your comp around much and taking it places a desktop would be better in my opinion. Plus it can be easily upgraded when the time comes.
 
Back
Top