Laptop appears dead after airplane trip need help

draksia

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright I was using my laptop this morning in the airport before my flight. I get on the flight and then arrive at my destination. A few hours go and then I try and boot my laptop and it doesn't.

The chipset fan spins up but the main processor fan doesn't. The power and battery lights still work but I get nothing on the screen at all.

The laptop is a Averatec 3150. I disassembled the whole and didn't see any obvious damage and it wasn't abused during flight. It spent the whole time in my back pack.

Any advice or ideas would greatly be appriaciated. This is my only laptop and really liked it.

Many times what you describe is a bad logic board(motherboard). Averatec doesn't like selling parts to end users but it may be worth it to call them and find out how much they would want to look at it.

Luckily the reason for the trip was bussiness. I was doing some thermal testing for external SAS harddrive enclosure. One of the guys the works in this office is a solder expert. He took a look at the board and notice that a few small components had broken solder from pad. He resolder them and it is working fine now.

I figured it was probably the mobo that was bad but luckily he could fix it.

draksia said:
Luckily the reason for the trip was bussiness. I was doing some thermal testing for external SAS harddrive enclosure. One of the guys the works in this office is a solder expert. He took a look at the board and notice that a few small components had broken solder from pad. He resolder them and it is working fine now.

I figured it was probably the mobo that was bad but luckily he could fix it.

Wow, that's awesome! I'll keep that in mind!

Back