Laptop 4K display + 24" 1080p scaling

Henri108

Limp Gawd
How can I use my laptop 4K display with a 24" 1080p and have usable scaling on both?
The 24" needs 100% scaling and my laptop 200%. Now I can only use one at a time and it's extremely annoying...

Windows 10, although it is not yet fully released, appears to support scaling quite well.

Will it be able to scale 2 displays differently?

From what I have heard, yes. However, I have not done so myself but I can test it tonight if you want. (I just upgraded to a 4k 28 inch monitor but have not sold my 27 inch 1080p monitors yet.)

From what I have heard, yes. However, I have not done so myself but I can test it tonight if you want. (I just upgraded to a 4k 28 inch monitor but have not sold my 27 inch 1080p monitors yet.)

Would be highly appreciated!

I will let you know. :) Probably not until late tonight but, it will be an interesting experiment.

Edit: What would your response be to the questions I have in this post please? Thanks: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041698006&postcount=40
Really difficult question that is all over the place :D.
For gaming => 1080p with a 290, 1440p max. With FuryX/980ti you could go 4K with good framrates; be sure to buy an IPS one if you want the best "looks" (obviously otherwise you wouldn't want 4K). Very little experience with Eyefinity myself for gaming.
For productivity=> 2/3 displays are much better than 1 4K display. I also ordered a Dell 34", which will be a good middle ground between 2x 27" and a 4K display.

Thanks for trying it out, all my spare systems are currently in use as we are hiring some people for a big project, otherwise I would already have a windows 10 system up and running to test it out myself.

Really difficult question that is all over the place :D.
For gaming => 1080p with a 290, 1440p max. With FuryX/980ti you could go 4K with good framrates; be sure to buy an IPS one if you want the best "looks" (obviously otherwise you wouldn't want 4K). Very little experience with Eyefinity myself for gaming.
For productivity=> 2/3 displays are much better than 1 4K display. I also ordered a Dell 34", which will be a good middle ground between 2x 27" and a 4K display.

Thanks for trying it out, all my spare systems are currently in use as we are hiring some people for a big project, otherwise I would already have a windows 10 system up and running to test it out myself.

Yeah, I had typed it as I thought things up. :D I actually bought the Samsung 28 inch U590D which is a TN panel but I love it.($538 with tax.) This is coming from 2 LG 27 inch monitors which are IPS but just do not seem as nice to me. Also, I decided on it even though I only have an R9 290 and it does play well at 4k but not all games on max settings, like Crysis 3. :)

I am really starting to think though that the motion sickness is almost eliminated with this monitor and the 4k resolutions. (I also turn off motion blur in game but the monitor blur also appears to be nearly non existent.) However, I could pick up a good mount at easymountlcd.com but, I am still concerned with that motion sickness. :(

Oh, and with the 4k or Eyefinity, I would have an excuse to get a videocard upgrade next year. :D That laptop 4k display is either a MAC Book Pro or a high end Dell, right?

Well, I plugged in my LG 27 inch 1080p monitor in the HDMI port of my R9 290 card as a secondary monitor. It immediately detected it and used the 100% scaling automatically at 1080p resolution. The 4k monitor had automatically set itself at 150% when I plugged in last Friday night. At least with Windows 10, automatic scaling works well.

Well, I plugged in my LG 27 inch 1080p monitor in the HDMI port of my R9 290 card as a secondary monitor. It immediately detected it and used the 100% scaling automatically at 1080p resolution. The 4k monitor had automatically set itself at 150% when I plugged in last Friday night. At least with Windows 10, automatic scaling works well.

So the 4k sits at 150% and the 1080p at 100%? If yes: Awesome and many thanks!
Yes, it's a Dell XPS 15, with almost 4k resolution; I do a lot of photo/video editing, which makes the resolution great, my MBPr 15 didn't have this kind of resolution btw (like the difference between 1440p and 4K).

Back