• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lapping TRUE and Q6600? How much temp difference?

corey407woc

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
103
hey guys i just bought a Lapped TRUE from crazypc.com. i am going to be using ocz freeze as the tim and a 3000 ultra kaze as the fan. how much temp difference would i notice if i also lap the q6600 cpu. thanks
 
Depends on how uneven the surface was on the 6600 before you lapped it. You could see no improvement to about a few degrees c, IIRC. Do a search there are plenty of threads on the topic.
 
bah i lapped a true and a dtek fusion on my lapped 6600... barely worth the effort.. but it was cool to do though :)
 
Im gonna be lapping my TRUE black and q6600 shortly myself, nice to see theirs an option in the us to buy a pre lapped TRUE from a shop. Sadly we dont get that option in the uk:(
 
I did this exact same thing last year (lapping both my TRUE and Q6600) and if I recall correctly, I think I dropped about 2-3*C.
 
I lapped my old B3 Q6600 and TRUE and saw a pretty significant decrease.

finaldu4.gif


That said, I didn't need to lap either my X3360 nor my TRUE on my new PC. I either got a REALLY bad B3, or they have modified their IHS design or CQ.

B3 Q6600 lapping
TRUE lapping
 
I wonder what the results would be if you mounted the same cpu and hsf 5 times. Cleaning off/reapplying as5 then taking the measurements..without changing a thing.
 
the only purpose of lapping is to make the cpu cooler lie flat on the cpu.
Many processors come off the line with a slightly curved IHS.
The same happens with the heatsink.
Lapping can do great things for your cooling, or make things worse. You should sand the surface evenly up to at least 2000grit to get a flat surface.
The flatter the surface the better the thermal energy will transfer from the cpu to the heatsink
The problem is, many people do not know how to lap, and they will make a worse crown in the IHS, decreasing the conductivity of the heat to the heatsink.

If done properly, your cpu should run a few C cooler, but that all depends on your craft level.

K-TRON
 
Back
Top